Good scenic base clay?

Hi everyone. This time I'm seeking advice for a good clay or equivalent to use for scenic bases. It should be self-hardening, little to no shrinkage during drying, and easily paintable. Some of what I found required baking to dry (not practical) or never really dries to a firm consistency. Please share with me any types (brands if possible) you've used with success. As always, thanks for your input, and happy modeling!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Two suggestions:

1) Celluclay. Many have experienced problems with shrinkage, or poor adherence to the base; but I have suffered neither. I mix in a good amount of Elmer's Carpenter Glue, to give it strength. Also, add some powdered brown tempera paint. That way, if your finished product suffers some unfortunate chipping, you will not be left with a vibrant, obvious "white spot".

2) A&B (or similar) two-part epoxy putty. Squish and squash it on with your fingers; and then press in your other groundwork materials before it cures.

Another popular product is "Durham's Water Putty", available at hardware or "home improvement" stores.

In all of the above, baking is not *required*; but it *does* speed up the drying/curing process. Whatever you end up using; drill a bunch of holes in your base, first....to give it some "tooth", to provide something for your clay/putty to grab onto.

An

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Hi, I use a product from the hardware store its premixed and is used to fill gaps in Plasterboard wall.The one i use is called Pollyfilla. It dries without shrinkage,can be sanded easily ....takes Acrilic paint well .and u can texture it when wet with a quite long lag time. I insert all my foilage into it when wet.I use a wet brush to either smooth it or texture it, best of luck,

Reply to
Arcusinoz