My big project....

Hi everyone. Most times I write to ask questions, and have gotten wonderful advice. I thought for a change I'd write to say what I'm working on, and let you know that I've benefitted from your input on this project.

My current project is a diorama in 1/72 scale, on an 8x10 frame. The theme of my dio is meant to reflect British paratroopers storming a destroyed bridge in Germany. This effort has required me to create many of my pieces either because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted or couldn't afford it. So far I'm most proud of my bridge section. I created it out of wood, and this consists of the single lane, sidewalks, side rails, entrance ramp area, and complete simulated steel support structure. I think when done I used about 130 pieces of wood. I painted the supports to look like steel, which meant weathering them for rust, and darkened slightly from blast damage. The bridge itself was first painted flat black, then light aircraft grey (which passes for a nice cement color). Finally, I sprayed Krylon Flekstone spraypaint over it, and this gave me the multi-colored concrete look I wanted. I fine-tuned all this with some black pastel along road and walkway edges, then white pastel over the flat surfaces to tone down the speckle a bit. I must say the result is pleasing. My all-wood bridge appears to be made of concrete. I created a base for the entry from styrofoam, and shored it up with tile plastic sheet. Since the bridge is destroyed, I had to create a few more supports sticking out of the water. I glued these directly to the base. I added a guard shack, sign, and phone poles from the Hasegawa Checkpoint set. I used thread for one set of wires cut and hanging into the water. I'll run a second set of wires to the shack. After much thought, I went with Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. It can be poured straight from the bottle, and cures in about 24 hours. This was best for me, because I had to be sure all the supports would sink into it. I poured it onto my base, then attached the bridge section, supports and all. For effect I sprinkled black and white powder around, plus some dirt dust, over the water. The result seems credible. Finally, I had some Nazi propaganda posters in scale I'd printed, and used several of those draped on the sides of the bridge.

Presently what's left is to add the second set of phone lines, a bunch of sandbags to one side of the bridge, maybe touch up the water if needed, then move on to the figures. whew :-)

I'm using the Italeri British "Red Devil" paratroopers, and have picked out an even dozen for my scene. They will be fun, as this is the first ones I've done that had a camo pattern to their clothing. whew again :-)

Sorry for this being so long, but I'm really excited about this project, and hope it turns out as good as its going so far. I'll definitely be taking pics when done (unless it suddenly turns crappy), so if anyone is interested in seeing it let me know, and I'll share some pics. Take care, thanks again for all the great advice, and happy building!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

That's OK, Randy. It was about modelling. We've wasted considerable space here talking about less relevant subjects.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Major snippage of really good info

Randy how about posting some pics to ABMS. Pete

Reply to
The Laws

Hey, I'm sorry, but I don't know what ABMS is. Is it a website? Also, is there any problem with posting pics there scanned with a Webtv-based system? Thanks.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Doh! Just figured it out. Alt Binaries Models Scale.

Never mind. :-) (This is what happens to a brain attempting to process data first thing in the morning without coffee.)

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

The project sounds like it's coming along nicely. Best of luck as you move onto the figures. I'm sure it will look great and remember, the only one you have to satisfy is yourself.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier