P-40 display question

Greetings all. I'm building the Academy P-40M/N for a co-worker, and selected the paint/decal scheme of the 74th Squadron, Kwelin, China 1944. I also bought a simple 7x7 inch wooden base for it to be displayed on, but would like to create the appropriate scenic setting on the base. This is where I need help. What sort of groundwork would be appropriate for this model? Tarmac? Grass? Dirt? As always, thank you for your input, and best wishes to all.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

There was something along this topic, in one (or more) of the Time-Life books on WWII. There were photos showing the construction of airfields, using local labor. The Chinese workers were rolling *huge* cylindrical stones, to crush other rocks and stones, as well as dirt, to pave and make the runways, etc. The resulting mish-mash looked to be a light colored stone color. Perhaps something like cliche? (Or perhaps that may be a bit too light...)

However, far more important than the actual "dirt", would be some sort of identifiable object(s) that would make the viewer think "China".

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I remember a pic in some book showing an elephant loading a C-46 or similar. I always thought that would be a neat dio.

Reply to
frank

A chinese guy in a coolie hat?

NOTE to politically correct morons......that IS a valid figure to make the viewer think China.....

Reply to
rwsmithjr

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

be some sort

"China".

figure to make

Pop in a copy of Flying Tigers starring John Wayne. Had plenty of coolies acting as ground crew on dirt pushing aircraft, loading and repairing.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Don't even have to do that, there are plenty of actual photos around.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

I tried this with a 1/48 AVF pilot sprinting to a P-40B. Used a dirt and "crushed limestone" parking area with some water puddles, grass patches and tire tracks/ruts. Background was a wooden alert shack and a "Coolie" raising a Chinese style alert balloon. I was NOT pleased with the result and the dio has never seen competition combat. HTH.

Reply to
larsclark

" snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

photos around.

Yeah but where else do you find termites in P-40s?

Reply to
Gray Ghost