painting polyamide

Hi, I sell plastic resins (polyethylene, polypropylene...) for injection moulding. One of my customers makes high heels in polyamide

6 (nylon 6) and they want to paint it. I know that you can paint polystyrene and ABS easy but painting materials as Polyethylene is harder. I need to know how easily they can paint nylon and which painting do you recomend.

Thanks, regards.

Reply to
clao784

Polyamides like PA6 & 66 are paintable. Industrially painted PA-parts = are automotive wheel covers, tank flaps or rear view mirror housings = etc. PA6 is "easier" to paint than PA66, due to its lower crystallinity.

The plastic parts need to be molded without the use of surface active = substances, like mold release agents and the like. For handling the = plastic parts, perhaps cloves are needed. Prior to painting, the plastic = part surface needs to be properly cleaned and/or optionally = (flame,plasma,corona)-treated for optimal paint adhesion, which all = depends on your customers requirements.

He could go for a "traditional" 2K Primer & 2K Hardener plus a 1K = Topcoat or a 2K Topcoat plus 2K Clearcoat, like the paint systems sold = by DuPont/Standox. More details are following:

and how to finish them:
How to refinish plastics:
Plastic paint recommendation

Or he could go for electrostatic powder coatings as sold by Akzo = Nobel/Interpon

of: waterborne 2K conductive primer waterborne primer surfacer waterborne base coat solvent borne 2K clear coat

He ought to c> Hi, I sell plastic resins (polyethylene, polypropylene...) for

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann