WW2 German bomb markings & colors

Does anyone know the correct color or colors for German (Luftwaffe) bombs used during World War Two?

Specifically, I'm looking for colors, stencil markings and stripes painted on SC-250 and SC-500 general purpose bombs. The only reference I've been able to find says sky blue, field grey or aluminum for the bomb casing with yellow stipes on the fins. It doesn't say which way the sripes go, nor does it include any useful images.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply to
Kim Fowler

Hi. The bombs seem to come in a range of colors, including RLM02, what looks like panzer gray, and a green/olive. As for the stripe, my refs show it being on the tail cone, not the fins, and being fairly narrow, maybe an inch or 20/25mm wide and about 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the tail cone. Though the refs don't detail them, I've seen pictures of stenciling or stampings, usually towards the nose and/or around the mid-body, usually vague enough that it can be faked with a little illegible scrawl. Usually two or three lines of data, bomb type/wieght, code for explosive composition, manufacturer/date codes. Also, AP bombs had a light blue stripe and Frag had a red stripe.

Reply to
steve gallacci

Thanks for the great info. I knew I could count on you guys!

I'm off to the spray booth to paint little bitty bombs...

Reply to
Kim Fowler