Broplan Kits

Looking for a good source for Broplan kits, preferably in the U.S.

Their new injection molded 1/72 Super Cubs are a must buy.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Don't know any in the US, but try Aeroclub Models

based in the UK.

Reply to
Øystein Høivik

I wasn't noticing manufacturers' names, but if you're near Berkeley, go to the Berkeley Ace Hardware. They had kit makers I've never heard of, and I thought I saw a Broplan or two....Eric

Reply to
Eric Ferguson

Tom,

I tried Aeroclub for a L-21 a few months ago with no luck. Let me know if you find a source, as you say the Super Cubs are a must buy!

Jim Bates IPMS/Fame Cities

Reply to
<hbates3

Eric

I checked with Bill at Berkeley Ace Hardware a few days ago and no Super Cubs yet. I'll have to find out who he gets them from.

A lot of the duplicates from his own collection and collections that he buys are on the shelves for their 25% off sale. You may have seen the odd Broplan or two from these sources.

I am in Corte Madera, where are you located?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Tom

I'm not that far away, only in Concord.

I didn't know there were so many manufacturers of model kits before. And what got to me, is the fact that models I bought as a kid for a BUCK are now going for TWENTY dollars or more.....Maybe that's why I've stayed out of it for so long. (And had I known then what they are going for now, I would've stocked up!!!)

Who is this Bill you keep mentioning? Is he in the store all the time? Have to admit....there are a LOT of kits there.....

Anyway....I'm looking at those two boxes (I have opened them), and am still thinking of going for the 25 Pdr Gun and Quad Tractor first, THEN maybe the S55 or Wing. Start slow and build skills. Later I'll probably be asking for help with painting, that was really one of my weaker points....Oh, yeah....Some of those decals on the wing are REALLY SMALL!!!!!

One question now (for anyone), is that stuff called Decal Set or something like that really worthwhile. I take its clear so that you can put it over a decal and it doesn't lift later.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Ferguson

Hi, To respond on your question about Decal Set...

The most common solution is from MicroScale and is called MicroSet. This is actually part of a two-part process and another product called MicroSol is also helpful. Be aware that some decals may not be compatible with the Micro Products, in some cases they will hardly affect them at all and on very rare occasions the decals may actually be damaged! Test on a decal you don't need if possible!!

You start by making sure that your model is gloss and not flat. If the final finish is to be flat, you add a flat coat later. The gloss finish will prevent 'silvering', which is caused by tiny air bubbles trapped between model and decal. A flat surface is like a very fine sandpaper and the decal cannot settle into all the tiny crevices. A gloss coat evens the surface out at the micro-level.

Dip the decal in luke-warm water for a few seconds and put it on a non-absorbant surface until the decal is released from the paper. (Time varies a lot, between ten seconds and a minute is average.)

MicroSet is a wetting solution and prevents air bubbles from forming between the model and the decal. Place the model so the decal is as horizontal as possible (so it won't move around).You put a few drops of Set on the model before placing the decal where it's supposed to go. Carefully blot the decal down to remove some of the Set.

Now it is time for the Sol part. Place a couple of drops of MicroSol on the decal and DO NOT TOUCH until dry !! MicroSol softens the decal and it may wrinkle horribly. Do not panic, the decal will straighten itself out and conform to just about any panel line and curve on the model.

Let it dry and follow up with a clear or flat coat of your choice. This is what really helps keep the decal in place.

Hope this helps you and other fellow modellers

Sten Sundelin Flying Colors Aerodecals

Reply to
Sten

Al ordered some today from Aeroclub.

Shall keep y'all posted as to filling the order.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Aviation Usk Nebraska has Broplan kits

MGFoster:::mgf Oakland, CA (USA)

Maiesm72 wrote:

Reply to
MGFoster

Two years ago, I ordered some Broplan kits from AvUsk, have yet to receive them....

I have ordered other items from AvUsk, ie Wings vacforms and books on sale, and provided they are in stock, have no complaints.

Keith Walker

Reply to
Scorpian

Yes I have sent emails emails emails with no response. I know they have blather about not responding to every email on their site, but they sure DO respond to an email when it's an order!!!! - and I have ordered from them after the Broplan order so that's a fact.

I am not going to jump through some damn hoops just to plead with them to get my money. I am the customer, period. If they can't get something and it is not in stock, then they should not list the items.

I will repeat, if Usk has something in stock, they are quite reasonable, but backorders are something else.

If you want good customer service, check out Mission Models if you need some armor.

Keith Walker

: > I have ordered other items from AvUsk, ie Wings vacforms and books on sale, and provided : > they are in stock, have no complaints. : >

: > Keith Walker : >

Reply to
Scorpian

I went through the "wait months and email endlessly"syndrome...I finally had to put in the subject line"I know you read my emails,I want a refund"before I finally got my response...which took 3 more emails,talk of legal action and 2 more months before I got my money back...over 6 months after placing the order! Never again

Reply to
Eyeball2002308