Re: Paint help

Ok, before anyone sends me to the FAQ, I am desperate for a clue here.

> Painted an entire truck with Testors Spray Paint, and then screwed up the > hood when I hit it with Testors Spray Gloss Cote. > So, wet sanded the hood down, wiped it off, and two days later hit it with > another coat, (almost the end of the can) of color. > Didn't bother checking it for three days, only to discover the durned thing > orange peeled. > So, more wet sanding, another 24-48 hours drying, bought a new can of color, > and the same thing happened. > > What am I doing wrong? I did some touch up on the truck body itself, with > wet sanding, then more color after the initial gloss coat, and had zero > problems. > Suggestions, help, thanks in advance. > > Tom

Well, even the guys who do it with something with the finesse of a top quality airbrush....STILL do a lot of sanding, polishing, etc., between coats. I know guys who do this using a dozen or more THIN coats. Such finesse is a bit more difficult with spray cans. I think that your are just experiencing the limits of what one can do with a can of spray. Gloss finishes are WAY more difficult.

Turn that truck into a Somali, Serbian, or Iraqi "technical vehicle"... where you can use your imagination with creating wild, kinky, MATTE finishes!

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Even with the airbrush, it took me about a dozen thin coats with pearl paint before I had rubbed out the orange peel. A spray can might be fine for the initial coats.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert