1/72 Scale Renwal Wright Flyer

Hi, Can someone point me to a review of the old 1/72 scale Renwal 1903 Wright Flyer kit? I'm curious as to how it builds up. Also if anyone has a complete kit in a trashed box they would like to sell cheap let me know. Thanks, Gene

Reply to
Gene Gatti

Gene -- Did two, years ago (got lucky, found them in a hradware store bargain bin for 50¢ each. Built the first according to the instructions. Became a bloody mess as the liquid glue used to mount the aeroskin melted and warped the plastic. Second time, I used just enough liquid glue to mount the aeroskin to the trailing edge, over the top surface (no glue here) glue lightly at the leading edge and over the lower surface (no glue) and glue tightly to the trailing edge. Did that each wing and the leading elevators. At this point, I trimmed the aeroskin to march the wingtips and used a little glue to set it down. The elevators were the biggest pain at this point with their pointed tips. Now here is where the trick comes in. To tighten the aeroskin, I used hot fuel proof dope. (I used white, as I based the reference to the color plates in my Kenneth Munson book). The dope with make the aeroskin (I think that it's similar to silkspan, but could be wrong) shrink, but doesn't attack the plastic. Three or four coats (brushed in those days as I didn't have a spraygun yet) and the wings had a nice opaque color to them. I primed the rest of the kit, painted the wood Light Earth, or a reddish brown (don't remember), and black for the metal pieces, and assembled it as per the instructions. I didn't rig it because at the scale, I would have needed spiderwebbing. Still looks nice after all these years. For what it's worth, I did the same to their First World War series as well, just substituted Clear Dope for colored to show off the various finishes. Still would like to get that Haddon Jenny, but that one is too rich for my blood!

The Old Timer

I built this in the 70's, thought it was alright, but the spars are kind of thick. If I had one today, I would replace them with Strutz metal parts, and find an alternative to the tissue paper supplied, with its rather coarse weave, perhaps with mylar, or use dope primer to smoothe the surface. A 1/72 Flyer has been at the top of my list for new kits from modern manufacturers. Last December was probably the best chance to market one, now that some of the hype has tapered off

Reply to
jim walker

There are four Wright 1903 Flyer kits in 1/72 scale.

The first was the Taimei kit as released by Renwall in the US in their double kit series. The struts, spars, etc. were all far too thick and the glued rice paper covering was not too convincing, especially with the black plastic used.

Next came the Hallark model, now sold by Corgi. Injection molded with great wings. Sturts are too heavy and the framework looks like 2x4s. Pre-assembled and painted. Fully rigged.

Have not seen the Aero Base kit from Japan. It is done in etched metal with a solid engine, either cast metal or injection molded. Comes with a neat little bicycle and figures.

The Historic Wings kit is all etched metal with cast metal solid parts. It may be the same as the Aero Base kit.

A good 1/72 scale injection molded kit is very much called for.

Tom The Aero Base kit from Japan and the

Reply to
Maiesm72

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Yes Renwal released a Japanese series of pioneer aircraft in 1:72. You can tell these by the aeroskin wing coverings. They also did a series if WWI aircraft in

1:72 with preprinted aeroskin as well. There were several 1:48 kits in the series too, a Curtiss Jenny barnstormer, an Airco D.H.2, and a Curtiss F11C-1 Goshawk. THese kits were nice, but if you find them, Don't use the liquid cement to do more than lightly glue the aeroskin to the plastic. Bond it with Hot Fuel Proof Dope, which won't hurt the plastic.

The Pyro series of pioneer aircraft and four RAF fighters from the 1930s were all Inpact molds and 1:48 scale.

The Old Timer

Hi Guys, Thanks for the information. If I find one of these kits for a decent price I'll pick it up. Gene

Reply to
Gene Gatti

Taimei did the following in 1/72:

Antoinette Bleriot XI de Haviland DH-1 Voisin-Farman

They were the first of the Aero-Skin kits and were released under Entex, Fuji and Renwal.

Renwal double boxed the Taimei kits mixed with two of their own:

212 Voisin-Farman/Antoinette 234 Wright Flyer/Bleriot XI 256 Avro Triplane/Curtiss Golden Flyer

The Wright Flyer and Avro Triplane have been listed mmany times as Taimei kits, but no-one has ever come up with evidence. Renwal also passed on the DH.1.

The aero-skin process was also used (with silk) by the French firm Brifaut. They did the Ader Eole in 1/70, the Antoinette and Bleriot XI in 1/72. The Ader Eole was unique not only in it's unusual subject matter, but in the inclusion of two sets of parts. They must have really known how delicate and difficult this kit was.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Those might be the old Inpact kits in 1/48th. Some were re-released under the Pyro, Life-like and Lindberg names. I saw some within the past 5 years and there was a Deperdussin, a Bleriot, an Avro Triplane and a Bristol Boxkite. Those were in additon to the better known Gladiator and Fury kits.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Tom, I have to nitpick here. The model is of the deHavilland-Hearle Biplane Number 1, not the D.H.1. The latter was a First World War armed scout. Also one I wish that Renwal HAD made. The former was an experimental type made in 1910. I seem to remember that the Entex issue (which I built) called it the D.H.1, but as I said, that's a whole 'nuther aircraft.

The Old Timer

Thanks John.

I'll change ESM 72 listings and MAI files.

Never to old to learn something every day.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I've got most of those. Want a list? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Also be aware that Entex reissued them in the late 70's.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Excellent info ! I had the Renwal kit and thanks to your write-up I just ordered the 1:72 Areo Base kit ! It looks excellent (from the pictures I've seen) !

Now I'll have to figure out how to cover the flying surfaces (although it looks mighty nice as-is).

Thanks ! Peteski

/72 scale injection molded kit is very much called for.

Reply to
Peter W.

Per this continuing discussion, I noticed several Renwall kits of the Pioneer aircraft on eBay today. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Reply to
Don Stauffer