Dinosaurs are a cure for AMS!

Well, sort of.

I found a Tamiya Triceratops at Longs and since the shrink wrap had been removed (although everything inside was still in the plastic bag), they let me have it for $3.99. Unfortunately, it turned out that the kit depicts the tail dragging on the ground, which it shouldn't. No biggie. Cutting off and repositioning the tail didn't take very long (thanks to Milliput and my Dremel tool), so now I've got a dino all primed and ready to paint.

Only, then I had the bright idea to build a diorama with two of the beasties, so I went out and bought the Tamiya Triceratops diorama set. Hmmm. The dino in this kit is covered with scales. Do I have to scribe scales all over the body of the other one as well? That would be a daunting task. Fortunately, a little interenet research solved my problem. Existing examples of dinosaur scales (which can be counted on one hand, BTW) are much smaller than what is depicted in the kit. Too small to be visible in 1/35 scale, in fact, so a little work with the Dremel should make the two dinos match again. Whew!

Plus, I now have a base which isn't right for this diorama, but might be useful for some other project, four fish, a frog, and two "Velociraptors" which are easily twice the size they should be, but which are nearly passable as Deinonychus except that their noses are too long (perhaps they represent an undiscovered subspecies), and they probably should have feathers. I haven't figured out how I want to represent the feathers yet, so I'll put them aside for another day (I wouldn't have wanted them in a diorama with two Triceratops anyway).

Okay, so I'm not exactly shaking the box and watching a completed model drop out, but I'm not getting bogged down replicating every last tiny detail either. Heck, I can just make a lot of it up (like the color scheme) and nobody can prove I got it wrong.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

that's why I have a little bit of everything to build, resin anime, dinos, space stuff, targets, figures, aircraft.... always good to have something you can just slap together and paint purple if you feel like it.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

You've seen my daughter's tyrannosaurus then. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I got a couple of friends in paleontology and I always love arguing the new theories. If I had a tail that big I'd happily drag it, cuts down on expenditures of energy. Now if I was a biped, well then maybe...

The three older Tamiya dinosaurs; Triceratops, Rex, and Stegosaurus have great box art but the inside is dissapointing. They're covered with obtuse lumps and bumps that remind one of Morton Downey Jr. before his visit to the dermatologist. At least they're all to a constant scale; 1/35.

I'm gonna paint an airplane purple and tell everyone they're going color blind! 8^)

Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I have a purplish destroyer and it's accurate......have another in the works and a cruiser.

Keeper wrote:

Reply to
Ron

bit of a tyrant then? :-)

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Joe, not meaning to be crude, but don't forget to add a representation of the cloaca - this ain't the Disney Channel, y'know.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

lol

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Hey Jules, you know what they say... if you don't eat eat, you don't poop, if you don't poop, you die. And those l'il babby dinos gotta come from

*somewhere*!

Seriously Joe, there is a very good Kalmbach book about modelling dinosaurs, if you want to chase it up. Whoops - AMS here too! RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Joe - I have a diorama with three Velociraptors (from the six-pack) ganging up against a Protoceratops (1:35, Japanese, don't know the manufacturer, but it is sure accurate). I've ben thinking of the feathers, and have come up with this (although I haven't ~done~ it yet. I have several paintings of the critters from various books and off the net

is especially nice). I have settled on a drak grey upper/white belly combo, with a white ring about the neck and to replicate the feathers, I'm using flocking. I got this idea from a couple of "Dinosaur Planet" episodes, and from looking at a couple of Kiwis ate the zoo (the bird, not New Zealanders). THeir feathers are thin and kind of hairy, so the flocking might just carry it off. Anyway, prove me wrong!

The Old Timer

I may be doing a ship in the near future!

Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Me too! After witnessing a trailer for the upcoming Snoop Dog vehicle "Soul Plane" I canna wait to paint a 747 purple! It'll be the shiznit!

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Probably. She was trying for bloodstains, not a 'Barney' model.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Way ahead of ya Rob. (That Milliput is great stuff!)

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Thanks Ron! That's as good as PRU Mauve and pink. Is it really purple or more of an orchid? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Yeah, and mooch the "hop-up" segment of one of those Lindberg kits so you can get it bouncing. You gotta win an award for that! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Kind of a mauvy purple......WEM makes the color in enamel, you have to mix for acrylic. Snyder & Short have a color chip or go to

and dig into the articles, there's one that tells what Ducthboy paint is a match then just get that Dutchboy chip.

For kits WEM makes a K-class >

Reply to
Ron

I can see the new Squadron book, "Tyrannosaurs in Action"!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Now that would be some real 'In Action' shots..... Can't wait for it.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg