Wright Flyer wings

Just pulled the Wright Flyer from my stack. Can anyone give me some tips on
painting the wings so that they look like canvas? Come to think of it were
the wings covered with canvas or some other material?
Reply to
news-server.gt.rr.com
Most likely Grade "A" Cotton. A bedsheet pretty much & doped. At least that's how later fabric covered a/c were. Hard to say what the Wrights did. I'd suggest an off-white semigloss.
Reply to
famvburg
I used Pollyscale's Doped Linen. It looks close. Hub
Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott
I caught a Discovery Wings show last month on the building of the replica flyer that is to attempt a repeat of the 12/17/1903 flight on... 12/17/2003. I think they're calling the project the Wright Experience. A living Wright descendant had some of remnant fabric used on the original flyer that she made available to the replica builders. The Wrights apparently hand this down from generation to generation.
Anyway, they used the remnant to manufacture a new set of skins for the replica flyer. The original material was said to be a form of muslin.
Hell's Bells, I just checked and they have a website up. Enjoy!
WmB
WmB
Next FSM has an article on acuratizing this kit.
Tom
Reply to
Tom Hiett
The Wright flyer was less OFF white than others, especially European planes that used a darker, cream color. Also, hard to really compare, but it seems to me that Curtisses I have seen in museums were darker fabric than Flyer in ASM. So, go careful in adding cream or whatever.
One of the replicas being built went far to assure authenticity of fabric, documented in their recent TV program.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:
Reply to
Don Stauffer
There is also a display at the USAFM in Dayton... they have some of the original... and many of their displays are online.
Reply to
Rich
The Wrights used a material called "Pride Of The West" muslin. It was manufactured for ladies underwear. I spoke to a guy at the Wings Over Houston airshow...he had built a full-sized replica of one of the Wright gliders. Very cool! I would suggest a trip to your favorite fabric store...look for lightweight muslin for an idea of the color and texture of the fabric.
Reply to
John Druary
So, women contributed their underwear to get man into the air.
Some still do that today. :-)
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72