Wright Flyer wings

Just pulled the Wright Flyer from my stack. Can anyone give me some tips on painting the wings so that they look like canvas? Come to think of it were the wings covered with canvas or some other material?

Reply to
news-server.gt.rr.com

Most likely Grade "A" Cotton. A bedsheet pretty much & doped. At least that's how later fabric covered a/c were. Hard to say what the Wrights did. I'd suggest an off-white semigloss.

Reply to
famvburg

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott

I caught a Discovery Wings show last month on the building of the replica flyer that is to attempt a repeat of the 12/17/1903 flight on... 12/17/2003. I think they're calling the project the Wright Experience. A living Wright descendant had some of remnant fabric used on the original flyer that she made available to the replica builders. The Wrights apparently hand this down from generation to generation.

Anyway, they used the remnant to manufacture a new set of skins for the replica flyer. The original material was said to be a form of muslin.

Hell's Bells, I just checked and they have a website up. Enjoy!

WmB

WmB

Next FSM has an article on acuratizing this kit.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

The Wright flyer was less OFF white than others, especially European planes that used a darker, cream color. Also, hard to really compare, but it seems to me that Curtisses I have seen in museums were darker fabric than Flyer in ASM. So, go careful in adding cream or whatever.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

There is also a display at the USAFM in Dayton... they have some of the original... and many of their displays are online.

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
John Druary

So, women contributed their underwear to get man into the air.

Some still do that today. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72