Re: Wright Flyer Simulator Downloads

It does not work........ I downloaded the file twice, installed it

>twice, and got the same error both times. > >David

Hi David

Works fine for me. My only quibble is the flying characteristics. At least I assume that the original Wright Flyer couldn't roll and do a loop!!! 8^)

Regards

KGB

Reply to
KGB

Me, too.

Agreed.

I didn't get it to loop, but it certainly flew MUCH more easily than the original flyer. I guess they're modeling the flight of an RC model, not of the original airplane.

A friend of mine is getting MicroSoft's simulator for Christmas. It'll be interesting to see if they preserve the poor handling qualities of the original Flyer. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

| I didn't get it to loop, but it certainly flew MUCH more | easily than the original flyer. I guess they're modeling | the flight of an RC model, not of the original airplane.

Which would make sense ... | A friend of mine is getting MicroSoft's simulator for | Christmas. It'll be interesting to see if they preserve | the poor handling qualities of the original Flyer. :o)

They did. It barely flies. :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I have FS 2002, and found a download for it at avsim.com. It's not as tough as the 2004 model (I'm only guessing from what I've read), but it can be flown as long as you don't bank the wing more than 20 degrees or so. After that, it goes into a slip that takes a lot of altitude to get out of. Same for a stall. Power seems about right.

Here's a direct link to the FS 2002 download. Warning: clicking will start the download, so only do it if you have fs2002, and unzip to your main fs2002 folder. It will do the rest. There are other versions available if you do a search from their file library page.

I'll download the fms model and see if I can patch it up to make it more realistic.

Reply to
John Alt

Who knows maybe no one dared try it! Actually the later ones were quite manuverable. The first one lacked power and had a too short a moment between the wing and canard. But I guess it was OK for flying a straight line for a couple hundred feet or so.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

Modern replicas have found that the plane is so difficult to fly because it is VERY tail heavy. One of the replicators moved the pilot to a seat just forward of the leading edge of the wing, and it became a reasonable flyer.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Hi

Going almost full circle in this thread (or should that be full loop??)....It does not work. I downloaded the file twice, installed it twice, and got the same "error" both times.

Unzipping the file into the main fs2002 folder, unzips the files OK but doesn't put them into the correct folders - ie. they all stay in the main fs2002 folder. Using another aircraft (Sopwith Camel) as a guide, I have created the relevant folders and moved the files manually to what I think are the correct folders, but FS2002 doesn't show the flyer as a choice in the change aircraft option.

Regards KGB

Reply to
KGB

Hi,

Further to my post above, I have now found and downloaded the earlier flyer files (wright03.zip) which works fine (after transferring the files to the correct folders nmanually) - I can't get it to loop though!!!! 8^)

I suspect the problem with the 1903flyr.zip is something I am doing wrong in transferring the files, so I will have another go - my first attempt will be just to replace the wright03 files with the 1903flyr files and see what happens.

Regards

KGB

Reply to
KGB

Worked fine for me. I'm not sure what you did, but when winzip opens, you just hit extract. If you hit select all, or highlight everything and then hit extract, it may override and put it all into the parent directory. I'm using winZip 8.0

Reply to
John Alt

Hi John

I think I now know exactly what I did - which is to unzip it using and not Winzip.

Having now downloaded and installed Winzip from the WWW, I unzipped the flyer files and - like magic - they installed themselves into the correct folders. Pkunzip unzipped them all into the same directory.

Err, I have actually just noticed that both my pkzip.exe & pkunzip.exe are dated 1993 which may help to explain things so perhaps it is time I updated to Winzip, or at least something a bit more recent.

Regards

KGB

Reply to
KGB

Tomorrow's the Big Day. See-

Bill (oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Wow, I think that came with DOS 5.0. What OS are you running? BTW, I have a good freeware Zip/Unzip program if you want it, doesn't expire and all that. Either send me your email (take out DoesntNeedSpam above), or post a valid one here. It's 1.2 Megs, and I can't find it online anymore to tell you where to DL it from.

About the flyer, I love how the pilot slides left and right as you move the stick. I also am annoyed with the elevator blocking your forward vision, which is one of the first things Wilber and Orville corrected on their next model. I think the model is much too stable in pitch, but I haven't got around to learning how to edit FS models, yet. Anyone know how to change the CG on FS 2002 models?

Reply to
John Alt

Hi

Win98SE.

I bought my first PC in 1994 running Win3.11 (which I assume is where the pkunzip file came from). Obviously I have since upgraded and now have a PC running Win98SE. However, what I did when I replaced my old PC was to transfer across to the new hard drive any files that were still useful - including pkzip (It worked fine so I never thought to check the file date).

Since then, all I have done to open zip files is just click on them - and they open. The above problem has NEVER occured before, because all the files I have previously downloaded were intended to be installed in one folder OR it unzipped an install.exe file.

Thanks - I shall take you up on that if I may.

Have you seen the TV show "Junkyard Wars" (I think that is what you call it in the US). To commemorate 100 years of aviation, the UK version ("Scrapheap Challenge") had three teams building turn of the century aircraft from scrap in 20 hours - and flying them. The American team built a replica of a real 1909?? aircraft (I forget the make) and the pilot commented on that very thing - the elevator blocked his forward view. It was also very unstable in pitch. I assume the programme will be shown in the US and is well worth watching.

I suspect it flies too well compared to the real thing. I have noticed that once it gets into a dive it won't pull out - obviously the Wright Brothers based the Flyer on a Wingo!!!! 8^)

I have "JustFlight" photo quality scenery for where I live installed with FS2002. Not historically accurate, but it is quite spooky taking off in the flyer From a small airfield near my home, navigate by local roads and fly directly over my house. I feel like going to the window and looking out to see if it is actually there - or perhaps I spend too much time in front of the monitor and should get out more!!! 8^)

Regards

KGB

Reply to
KGB

Yes, that was a very cool episode, other than the French doing better than the Americans.

On the FMS model, they just took a Tigermoth and changed the thrust from

8 to 6. And they cut the Aileron deflection. I've got a few PAR files with English parameters listed if you want to edit your own for FMS. The model isn't sophisticated enough to ever replicate the slip characteristics of the Wright flyer, though. 0 1:Type(-) litemoth 2001.10.17 (original from KOKENKI by TOKUSASU) 6 2:Tmax(N) 2001.10.19 reduced the power from [8] to [6] 0.30 3:Drmax(rad) 0.10 4:Demax(rad) 0.003 5:Damax(rad) NO AILERON:INPUT [0]
Reply to
John Alt

PKware (Zip and unzip) was around before Win 3.0 ! ! ! It was a DOS program. I remember using it with DOS 4.11 on an 8Mhz PC/XT !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

You got 4.11 to run on an XT? I think I stayed with 3.2 all the way into Win3.1.

No... I ran 5.0 for a short time.

I started with Tandy MS-DOS 2.11 for the Tandy 1000ex. That particular DOS was coded and would not run on a non-Tandy machine!

Jeez... I thought my 64meg Miniscribe RLL drive was HUGE. :)

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Hah. I started with DOS 1.25 for the Victor 9000. CPM was thrown in for good measure. The first HD I was able to borrow for my machine was 10 MB, and then only after a couple of years of using floppies.

Those weren't the good old days!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Computers, powered by electric ! Pah ! when I was a boy all we had were abacuses (in cardboard boxes in the middle of the road for all those Python fans who get this shit)

Reply to
Roy

IIRC, it ran OK. By the time we got Win3.0, we were using DR-DOS 5.0 on many boxes. Microsoft put code in Win 3.1 that would not allow it to run on DR-DOS - who immediately issued a patch to fix that ! We were running that on 386-20 boxes.

Maybe my original IBM DOS 2.0 (???) books and disks will become a collector item. I've still got DOS 2.11, 3.??, 4.0, 4.11, 5.0 and 6.0 disks ! Got Win 3.0, 3.1 and I think 3.11 disks still. DR-DOS 5.0 + patch also.

64Mb --- it was huge. My first HD was a Miniscribe 20Mb that I RLL'd to 30 Mb after a few months. It was in a 12Mhz XT with 1Mb ram !

I've still got my Texas Instruments home PC, and a Timex/Sinclair 1000 computer !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

That's probably gonna be the most collectable.

I played with one for three days. Taught myself BASIC, sorta. It was great fun.

Then I played with a TRS ("Trash")-80 for a summer before we bought the Victor. I spent a lot of time not doing my Ph.D. work. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ