Re: CA debonder substitute?

ACETONE

Is there a solvent one can purchase in, say, Home Depot that could > substitute for the debonder you buy at hobby stores? > >
Reply to
jeboba

Acetone.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Acetone and nitromethane. Acetone is a lot cheaper and easier to get.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Ted Brindle

be aware that some polish remover also has oil in it.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

When CA is duluted with debonded or acetone will the property strength be weaken??? With a big bottle of medium CA it gets thicken too much.

Reply to
marl

Interesting thought. Is there anything that can be mixed with CA that acts as a reducer?

JR

Reply to
JR

You cannot mix solvents with CA to thin them. If/when the CA cures there will be trapped volatiles in it and the mechanical properties will be very badly affected.

It will last longer if you keep it away from your CA kicker, and moisture. If you keep lising them, buy smaller bottles.

Mike D

Reply to
M Dennett

I'm pretty sure there isn't. Once CA begins to thicken in the bottle, it's junk. You can add acetone, but all that does is turn the CA into a useless puddle of goo because acetone is a solvent, not a diluent, to CA.

A solvent attacks and breaks down the chemical structure of a substance, while a diluent separates the individual molecules of a substance and holds them in suspension until such time as the diluent evaporates, leaving the original substance.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Matthew

I had never really thought about it. It does seem, though, that there must be something that will act as a reducer, although it might be "hazardous to your health" to the point of uselessness. I started wondering if the manufacturers had some way, say, to reduce thick CA that is too thick when they mix it, so that it is acceptable for our purposes. While I was thinking about that, I started wondering what accelerator really is and what else might work. I had always heard that the moisture in the air causes it to cure. Would something like hydrogen peroxide, which is dirt cheap, work as accelerator? Someone must know the chemistry of this stuff.

If nothing else, marl made me start thinking. Man, that hurts. :)

Acetone certainly is not the answer, but, I still wonder if there is a reducer.

JR

Reply to
JR

Start with a WEB search for the MSDS for cyanoacrylate glue, then go to the TSCA site for same.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Thanks Gerald

It does not look like stopping the polymerization process is realistic, once it has started. By controlling the percentage of the two basic chemicals, you can make it thinner or thicker during manufacturer. I guess you could dilute it when it's fresh, but, then it becomes a matter of why.Just buy the thickness you want.

Turns out the guess about hydrogen peroxide was correct. Peroxides and alcohol will both set it off. I just tried both hydrogen peroxide and denatured alcohol and darned if they didn't work as accelerators. The commercial accelerator seems to set it just a little faster. It would be interesting to see if others get the same results.

As we all already knew, keep it away from water and heat.

JR

Reply to
JR

.it is ok it u use it straight away once diluted ...but overnight it turned into jelly...just learn it by experience :(

Reply to
marl

Hi

That could explain why my planes sometimes fall apart in the air (high-nitro fuel). And here is me thinking it was due to poor building. 8^)

Regards KGB

Reply to
KGB

Nail Polish remover..easier to work with...Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

BTW for anyone that mixes their own fuel, nitromethane is magical as a CA debonder and I think is what was originally supplied commercially for the job, perhaps cut with another solvent for cost/safety reasons.

Reply to
M Dennett

Many nail polish removers are mostly acetone. Commercial acetone is a LOT less expensive per ounce and don't have the oils and perfumes added.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Methylethyl ketone (MEK).

Reply to