CA Debonder

Has anybody found a cheaper alternative to the commercial CA debonders. I just finished seizing up a tailwheel when the stuff wicked into the plastic bracket.

Reply to
strathboy

I have heard that nail polish remover is pretty much the same stuff. I do not know this for a fact. I used the commercial stuff just last night which worked well so I will keep using it. I bought the bottle at least two years ago and have probably only used 5% of it. If that. At that rate, I dont think I need to find a cheaper alternative, myself.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

acetone ?

Reply to
Vance Howard

Debonder is almost pure Nitro Methane.

Reply to
Tommy

No, de-bonder is acetone. From the Pacer Tech web site, the MSDS for Zap A-7 Debonder :

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET DATE: 07/23/02

Revision #3 Page 1 of 2 Section 1 For Chemical Emergency Only: PACER TECHNOLOGY HAZARD RATING In the US and Canada: (800) 424-9300

9420 Santa Anita Avenue 3 Int'l & Wash DC COLLECT (202) 483-7616 Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 1 x 0 Telephone for Information: (909) 987-0550

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: Z-7 Debonder Section 2 - HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS INFORMATION:

Hazardous Components: OSHA ACGIH OTHER % (Common Names, CAS Number) PEL TLV LIMITS OPTION Acetone (67-64-1) 750ppm

750ppm 1000ppm 95-100%

  • This ingredient is listed in SARA III (40 CFR 355.2) as being hazardous.

(didn't quote the whole MSDS sheet)

You can buy a whole ounce of acetone unnder the Zap Z-7 Debonder label from Tower Hobbies (or any hobby source), or you can buy a quart of acetone at any home improvement store (The BORG, Lowe's, Ace Hardware) for something like ten bucks.

I keep a quart in the building shop, to replenish the Ball jar I keep the CA tips in. The acetone dissolves the CA and keeps the tips looking like brand-new. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Acetone, from a paint or home improvement store, is exactly the same thing as high-priced hobby de-bonders, for a _lot_ less money.

A word of caution, though. Some plastics don't like acetone at all. IIRC polycarbonate is one. Matter of fact, polycarbonate doesn't like many chemicals at all.

DAMHIKT.

Try a small drop on the plastic part where it can't do any harm, and see if the plastic softens or discolors.

The acetone may need a bit of time to dissolve cured CA, but it _will_ dissolve the stuff.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Buy the acetone as Fred says and use it for your debonding, then with all the leftover acetone, use it to clean the CA bottle applicator tips. I pour acetone in a baby jar, close the lid, and let it soak the applicator tips a few hours. Since I started doing that, I've never had to buy an extra tip.

Reply to
Tim

I did some google searches on this, and acetone, acetonitrile and nitromethane all work.

There were some references to 'chlorinated organic solvents' as well with may mean things like dry cleaning fluid?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

acetone and nitro methane. Really!

Reply to
jeboba

pure acetone doesn't work nearly as well. Most of the commercial stuff has some nitro methane in it.

Reply to
jeboba

No really. Better yet, you add a bit of nitro glycerine, some battery acid and shake it up real well. It'll clean up most anything within a 9 foot radius. Double the nitro glycerine and it'll clean out your entire garage in like, a half a second :-)

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I try to read the MSDS for every chemical I routinely use, including three flavors of "commercial stuff" debonders.

None of the debonder MSDS sheets I've ever read listed nitromethane.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Fred,

What DID they menti>

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I found a couple of web sites - loctite was one, and another I forget. Both mentioned nitromethane as being very good, acetone also good.

Could use a fairly 'hot' glo fuuel then...

Do a google on 'Cyanoacrylate solvent' and see for yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
strathboy

I store my used tips in Debonder that I put into an old film canister. Those plastic "cans" tend to pile up or get tossed.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Wow, kinda expensive use of debonder. Acetone will work just fine for that.

Reply to
jeboba

Only one component listed : acetone.

The post is back up the thread somewhere.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

OK, lemme rephrase that: Since those plastic film cans tend to pile up or get tossed, I decided to use one to keep my plastic tips in along with a small amount of debonder. Better?

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople