Help with colors for uniforms

Hello all. Its been a while since I posted, and have a question or two. Recently Airfix re-released some sets of figures in 1/32 scale, and just before this I managed to get my hands on a set of the original British

8th Army. Theres still much for me to learn in regards to perfecting my techniques, but aside from just practicing I need input on a few things.

One set I got was the US Marines. They appear on the box to represent the Pacific theater of war, and the instructions also indicate this. The color recommendations are given on the instruction sheet, based on Humbrol enamels. I have an Humbrol paint chart, and quite frankly many of the colors they suggest using don't jive with the photos on the box....which by the way appears more like I've seen color representations of these soldiers. The boxtop seems to indicate a uniform color somewhere between beige and light brown, but the instructions call for Humbrol 80 (Light Green) for the trousers and 78 (Aircraft Grey/Green). My Humbrol chart lists 80 as "Grass Green" and 78 as Cockpit Green. Neither of these appear to match the illustrations. Help!

This may sound silly, but also the movie "Windtalkers" with Nicolas Cage had the soldiers wearing uniforms more like the boxtop, and not as described in the instructions.

It'll be a while before I start these figures, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Happy modeling!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Use the paint numbers as a base, if you must....but just go ahead and mix your own colors to match the box art. And do you have a comparable set of Dragon/DML figures? Ron Volstad's artwork is an *excellent* reference.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Reply to
Dave