Casey Armstrong

My father, Casey Armstrong, passed away on June 1 2005. I just googled his name and noticed that he spent quite a bit of time in here.

My father was a good man. He built the best models, period. It was his passion. He would buy two and three of the same kit just to try different configurations. He vacu-formed his own parts when the kit parts were lacking. He bought custom decal sets, paints, airbrushes. You name it, he had, did it or knew about it.

In his last years as his vision deteriorated he stopped posting here. He sold off some of his beloved kits because money was tight. He hid these things from us. He never wanted to be a burden.

Anyway, he left me a huge pile of model kits. Planes, cars, armor, boats. You name it. I would trade them all for just one of his completed ones. Alas he only saved three.

I just wanted to let those of you who knew my Dad know of his passing. I am glad that he sold his kits off to others who would appreciate them. I don't share his talent for models. I built a few with him, but nothing like his. I, was, however, dragged to every hobby store in Dallas. His quest was eternal. My mother simply gave up and allowed him this.

Sorry to be off-topic and rambling. Just reading his old posts makes the hurt a little sharper. I just miss my dad.

Reply to
Bob Armstrong

It's been a long time. Sorry to learn of your loss. :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Same here. Very Big :-((

IIRC Casey authored RMS's first msg from Dan's Monkey, beating Dan to the punch. Dan was still busy stewing over the B-10. Been quite a few moons since then.

Fair winds and following seas, Casey Armstrong.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I am deeply sorry for you over the loss of your Dad. I do remember reading some his posts , and yes I believe that is correct about Dan's Mon-key and the whole B-10 issue. There was the time in RMS when just the mere mention the words B-&-10 in here and people have a tendency to tell you all about the "years of thearpy" the've had to endure of that Kit.

I submit this for your enjoyment and hope it gives your Dad a Good Laugh & makes him Smile from where he is now. I know he'll have God laughing for years to come over all of the Humor he wrote while here.

I wrote this in July of 2000 & have kept it ever since. I do hope that you'll Enjoy it.

There were of course the shipments of those limited-edition Swedish Leaded Crystal Beer Goblets, all of which had been individually monogramed with the TPC members initials , well the Mon-Key had managed to smash them all right in the middle of the parking. His original thought was to hide the whole shipment and hold them for ransom. He tried to balance all Fifteen Boxes on the handle bars of that rusty , rickety old trike of his.

You should have heard the horrible noise that it made when all that glass tumbled down to the pavement....!

Another time we were going to host this giant Three day Golf Weekend featuring two full days of golf , having the third day totally dedicated to our World Class Clam Bake. Here is just some of what happened on the day before we were expecting TPC members to get to Our Club House Hotel. I remember it all starting with this Blood Curdling scream. There were three people staying inside one of the two-room suites in the west wing of the TPC visitor center which is across from the entrance to the 18 hole "Modelers Open" golf course. It had been a vacant lot we had built it on.

Well , Mon-key drinks banana beer nasty real vile, stinky stuff, just go and imagine something yellow and rancid, that smells.

Some of the Exotic Dan ....... errrrrrr ...... errrrrrr .... ummm ...... the "Hotel Guests" had run into lobby screaming and yelling and pointing to their rooms and shaking.

Naturally I and a few others ran to see what went wrong. You could see stuff strewn everywhere and seeing Mon-Key riding across the lawn leaving a zig-zag pattern of Foot Deep ruts down the center of the first fairway laughing his head off.

Then we saw it. The water in the water coolers had a Nasty Yellow color that we knew. What happened was he put some of that nasty "Banana Beer" stuff that he makes inside one of the water coolers.

Well our "guests" were convinced he had peeed in the water cooler, they wanted to leave now. Finally we got them to believe he didn't "pee" in their water. But we had to give them a complete room upgrade -&- everything just so they would stay.

Then we took off after Mon-Key. He just had to pay for what he did this time.....!! =A0

But he had a Petty Big head start on us. So climbing in a golf cart we followed the deep ruts in the course. When we got to the second green it had been trashed and sand was everywhere , the 1st green was a complete mess. =A0The 2nd green wasn't touched except for the beer bottles along the ruff. We could just see him on the 3rd tee. He was jumping up and down , after he noticed us and bolted. We had arrived there to see beer bottles sunken half way into the green forming concentric circles like a Bullseye the tracks showed he had crossed over on the back Nine. He was real tipsy now by the pattern in the grass.

There was that grand 1/1 scale Me=96262 over there acting as a wind sock and a weather vain. Balanced and bolted to a pole with ball bearings so it moved easy. The aircraft guy had worked on the thing for months to get it just right. Completely accurate with a 50mm nose cannon and everything. Well he pushed it over into the dirt. It was made of wicker and very light in weight with fully detailed interior it was a crumpled mess and complete total loss.

Next to that there's a giant fountain now some of the guys had gotten around to building a "corrected" 1/8 scale U=96571 except for counting and checking the size and shape of the rivets in the boat it was almost complete. The Dedication was to be held the following week well Mon-Key had cut a large Palm Tree to a Point and balanced it on the trike and he "HULLED" the sub , Twice..!

We were very close to catching him when we reached the 11th Tee he had taken all of the flags and had built this giant sized Jungle Gym. He didn't hear us and were "this" close to grabbing him before getting back on that Stupid Trike and Ringing that Stupid "Bell" on the handle bars.

Running to the west maintance shed and grabbed two boxes of those new "Acme Knock-Out" lawn darts. We threw the first Two right away and missed him by a mile. We got a little closer with Our Cart and I tried again missed him by "that" much this time. As he rounded the stand of trees by 13th Green I grabbed the last Two Darts. A Strange Feeling came over me I closed my eyes & began an ancient Rama Lama chant and just threw the last of the Darts.

This was one of those "Obie-Wan" --feel those force moments-- you sort of had to be there to feel it. The first Dart grazed the rear wheel and just bounced harmless in the dirt. But the second Dart had gone right into the front spokes locking them up and jamming it to the Left. Over he went with his hand still ringing that "Dam Bell" ''Ching---Ching'' But it seemed to happen in "S-L-O-W--M-O-T-I-O-N" in a kind of "Dukes of Hazard" sort of way. Over the handle bars he went rolling into a big ball. "HeH - HeH - HeH =A0 a Big-Fur-Ball......!!"

There's a big castle with a deep moat that blocks the approach to the 18 hole and so we took him over there with what was left of his banana beer and made him drink all of it. Finally just after he finished the last bottle he went to sleep. He kept belching for Hours. Out like a light he was but he could not stop burping. We took him over to the Draw Bridge , set him down gently underneath it. Funniest thing you wanted to see. Looking at him passed out on the lilly pad like that , belching his head off. He looked just like a Giant Furry Frog.

This just touches the surface here. .....

=A0=A0=A0=A0.... Carl ....

.

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

A brief look into what is really me
Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"

cyberborg 4000

Bob Armstrong vient de nous annoncer :

Hello Bob,

Just a word of friendship of France, and all my condolences. I remember certain messages of your dad, and he appeared very fine and passionate.

Best regards

Reply to
Flying Frog

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. I lost mine 6 years ago and there are still many days I wish he were here.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I lost mine almost 31 years ago and every day I wish he was still here.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I have a vague recollection of Casey, I think around the time frame of Mr. Pizzi (sorry for those bad memories here) IIRC he was a very nice person.

I lost my mother a few years ago, and recently my girlfriend, and four other people within the past year. I know the pain well. (and my 11 Bravo son ships to Iraq within the year)

But all this just reinforces the fact that I am glad that I spend sooo much time with my father now ! He spent 45 1/2 years at AA and rose almost to the top. The stories he tells about the *old days"* (being in a DC 6 that landed on the beach with no power, waking up in mid flight because there was no engine noise, putting parachute on before going to the cockpit to find out why no fans were turning, meeting Howard Hughes, seeing the prototype B 29, and F 3 F, etc...) are PRICELESS !!! Been trying to get him to write a book about it all.

If ya ever go to the Air & Space museum, and look at the Ford Trimotor, think.... As may father fondly says, at one time that was "my aeroplane" It was because of AA, my father, and a few dedicated individuals that we can even see that on display now. Unfortunately the Smithsonian's bad reputation on collections/valuables, goes back a long long way............

But I spent a lot of time in that Trimotor when I was younger :)

Allan

Reply to
AM