Armstrong Siddeley AS1

Hi all, My father has an Armstrong Siddeley AS1 that he is restoring. His first engine was a Petter A type, so the diesel was going to be a challenge. It was bought seized but allegedly the cylinder was kept full of oil to preserve it. When the piston & bore broke company, the bore was full of water but the piston had been near tdc. The barrel is pitted and so is 1 valve seat. Is there any thoughts on repair, I think as it is a blind bore it would be very difficult/expensive to repair. Are spares available anywhere, searching the internet doesn't reveal many matches to Armstrong Siddeley. Can anyone advise? thanks, Simon

----------------------------------------- Message sent by Excite Newsgroups.

simonwass

Not sure why you say it's a blind bore? They are easily sleeved if you can't pick up an oversize piston. Gardner LW liners will fit. Spares are thin on the ground, I might still have one or two secondhand pistons lying about, if so the top ring grooves will be worn but should be OK for occasional running.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Just to wind you up, I've got a pair of brand new, genuine, +.030" pistons sitting here under my desk Sadly they're not mine, I got them while I could as spares for a customer 18 months ago. The valve seat should be no problem for an engine shop, they'll be able to fit a standard insert, likewise with the barrel if it needs sleeving. Valves were getting scarce when we still ran these for a living 20 years ago, if yours won't reface you may end up having to find something similar to turn down. There were some pistons made for them in Italy a while ago after the 'proper' ones had more or less dried up. Try Bob McCulloch on 01925 757731 for pistons & bearings.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I think we have new nozzles for the injectors, but the pumps we had were sold IIRC.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Hi Tim, just to wind you up, we have a 5 litre paint tin crammed with spare valves! ;-) The cylinder hasnt got a separate head, hence blind bore, so machining and fitting inserts could be hard as they are 12" down the bore. The piston I believe is fine, dont know about the injection gear, not stripped any of it once barrel was found in its state. All below cyl is done. The sleeving is something we have thought about, can you recommend anyone? I have acess to large gear at work but dont like the idea of holding it for machining. Simon ps a few pics at the bottom of this page -

----------------------------------------- Message sent by Excite Newsgroups.

simonwass

Well, you discover something new every day!

The usual AS1 has separate head & barrel and a different head configuration. Is that the air intake between the pushrods? The usual arrangement is with the intake on the opposite side, with the cooling air entering the head (and barrel) on the same face as the intake. Is it the same 4 1/4" bore? This must be a very early version, possibly even a development model, is it definitely an AS1? It looks as though the barrel might even fit on the standard crankcase, but the cooling cowling must be completely different.

As for boring the barrel, it could certainly be done but would be more awkward than the open ended bore. I use Micro Engineering just outside Warrington, 01925 837 444, they've always done good work for me (& they're used to me bringing in difficult & unusual jobs, they usually groan when they see me coming )

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I've just had a look in case I still have a head kicking about, to post a photo of, but no. I do have a +.030" piston which actually looks quite serviceable (perhaps why I kept it ), top ring groove OK, small amount of scuffing on one side. Needs a good clean up, no gudgeon pin. If boring out to +.030 would clean up your bore, you're welcome to it if you can collect it.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech