F4D-1 cockpit colors

Tamiya's instructions say black cockpit, dark gray seat; Cutting Edge says FS36231 (dark gull gray) for cockpit/seat, black for instrument
panel/dash/gunsight. Which one is right ? Thanks.
--
-sdg

"Un gromono, mon royaume pour un gromono!"
I worked on an F4D-1 (a.k.a. F-6A) while attending an aircraft mechanics school in Denver. This particular aircraft is now on display at the Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in Pueblo, CO (http://www.pwam.org/f6askyry.htm )
With that said, I remember that the entire cockpit was semi-gloss black. I have also seen photos showing it to be dark gull gray with black main and side instrument panels and a black seat.
A cockpit detail often missed are two vertical metal bracing rods, one on each side of the interior of the canopy side window panels. If you sit in the cockpit, these rods are very prominent.
Another interesting feature of the Skyray cockpit is the extendable joystick. The control stick can be extended by pulling the grip up about 8 to 10 inches. This gave the pilot additional control leverage.
Martin
Just a note about the extendable joystick, the early A4's had the same feature. Maybe a Douglas backup to losing hydraulics?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hmmnnn...sounds like another good one for Testors "Aircraft Interior Black", which is really more like a semi-gloss pencil lead sort of color. I used it in my Hunter cockpit, along with regular flat and gloss blacks to get a real nice effect.
Oh - and it makes a GREAT tire color, too...
--
- Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Okay then, it's dark gull gray + a dark wash, some drybrushing and another dog in the yard to feed on the color police. Thanks for the replies, guys..
--
-sdg

"Un gromono, mon royaume pour un gromono!"

Ok, one more question.
What color is that big tube behind the pilots seat ?
Sorry I don't have the Ginter book. (Got one on the Cutlass tho :)
TIA
Allan
--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

the cockpit was black, but if you paint it in black, you'll end with black hole instead of cockpit. my sugestion is to use some dark gray, or put some white in black. ad a little more drybrush, and that's it HTH, Slider

I am in agreement with the MM interior black. I have mixed white into black and got a blueish black as opposed to a dark dark gray. According to a color expert friend, rule of thumb, zinc chromate (green) where people were not, like wheelwells, interior green in interior spaces where crew were present exclusive of cockpit which should be aircraft interior black. Flat black instrument panel with silver drybrush for instruments and small drops of white glue to simulate glass instrument faces. This holds for US planes. The alternate for Brit planes was their peculiar interior (lavatory) green for all interior surfaces. Wheel wells, bomb bays were a mixture of green and yellow zinc chromate....no ratio specified due to variability of paints, composition of same and materials on hand. Another friend who lives near Wright Pat in OH, says AC interior black is a safe bet for "nearly all": cockpits to include german aircraft. I do not claim to be any type of expert, just passing along info that was given to me. I found it helpful, and I hope you do too. Cheers, Bruce

Virus Database (VPS): 0523-7, 06/10/2005