Colors for Vietnam era USAF Phantom crew

I am now painting the figures for my 1/32 F-4E and thought the colors of Tamiya's demo model looked pretty good as seen here:

I foolishy thought that if I used the color call outs in the instructions that they would come out fairly similar to the example; not so. In fact, all I can say about the color call outs is they just are not right, even though I used Tamiya brand acrylics per the instructions. I am looking for a shade of green like the one used on the figures of the demo model. A fatigue green color may work. Any suggestions?

For those of you who helped me out the last time, thanks (especially Scott) and I will be in need of that centerline tank soon, but not quite yet. Got to get the cockpit done and fill the seems before putting ordinance together.

Thanks! Jack

Reply to
JP Wade

The standard USAF flightsuit from the vietnam era was sage green. It was a green with a substantial grayish cast to it. As it weathered, the tint became more grayish.

RAF Interior green, slightly darkened with a medium gray would not be a bad for a well-weathered Nam -era flightsuit. Modelmaster 34096 (B-52 green) with a little light gray wouls give you a less weathered flightsuit.

The colors varied considerably depending on age, exposure to the sun, what they were laundered in (i.e. clean water or a bucket of sludge from a paddy or ditch), and even dye lot variances. The keyword here is to mis medium greens and med-light grays until you get what looks right to you, then go for it. If you're putting more than one crewmember on displat with the F-4, make sure there are subtle differences in the color/shade of each flightsuit.

Good luck with the project.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Thanks Bill, this should help a lot. Jack

Reply to
JP Wade