paints for ME BF109F-2/F-4

I hate the paint guide for the 21st Century aircraft, but I think I have finally figured it out. I have a huge selection of colors of paint, but need to have an idea what these German colors translate to:

Grau Gray Model Master Aircraft Gray Gelb Yellow Insignia Yellow Schwarzgrun Black-Green Tamiya Black-green Graugrun Gray Green? Not sure of close color Grau Violet Gray Violet? Not sure Lichblau Light Blue Almost a powder or sky blue Sandgelb Sand Yellow Not sure

Help... Is there a chart somewhere? I think I can do this if I can just get an idea what these colors mean. I have most of them or I can mix them.

Thanks

Lance

Reply to
Bluepen

on 6/13/2007 1:12 AM Bluepen said the following:

Testors Model Master Acryl color chart

Model Master II (enamel) color chart
color charts

willshak

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Bluepen at snipped-for-privacy@kpunet.net wrote on 6/13/07 12:12 AM:

German WW2 colors were coded with numbers from the RLM (government air ministry). Most model paint lines will identify their German colors with RLM numbers, which makes it much easier to know what you're looking for. The RLM numbers for your list above are probably as follows:

Grau Gray Could be RLM 02 (actually a gray-green color) Gelb Yellow RLM 04 Schwarzgrun Black-Green RLM 70 Graugrun Gray Green RLM 74 Grau Violet Gray Violet RLM 75 Lichblau Light Blue RLM 76 Sandgelb Sand Yellow RLM 79

FWIW, standard painting schemes changed during the production run of Bf

109Fs. Many later F's (certainly F-4s) were painted in the standard mid-war scheme of RLM 74 and RLM 75 uppers over RLM 76 lowers. Many early F-2s were painted in a transitional early-war scheme of RLM 02 and RLM 71 Dunkegrun over RLM 65 Hellblau (similar to RLM 76 but a bit greener)

HTH Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

To which I'd add that Lichtblau could also be RLM 78 which is an extremely light blue usually used under 79 in desert schemes.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller