Testors semi-transparent Model Master paint

How are we supposed to know which ones are the "semi-transparent pearlescent" overcoats? I'd be interested in knowing which of the blue shades are semi-transparent, in case any of you have already experimented with them. For your records (if you're interested) 2711 Anthracite Gray is semi-transparent. That's the only one I've discovered so far.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

Yeah, much to my chagrin, I was looking for a substitute for dark mettallic. I don't think this is a purposefull effort on Testors part. The only other coatings like that are their "candy" colors in the spray cans which require a silver or gold undercoat. I haven't tried the Boyd line yet. Where did you see "semi-transparent" mentioned? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

On the "Paints" section of the Testors web site, they have the Car & Truck

1/2 oz Enamels here:
. In those descriptions (if you click a color link), they all say "Many are semi-transparent pearlescents, and by altering the base coat, a modeler will be able to achieve subtle color variations and tones." I see some in that list that I'm sure are not semi-transparent.

I put Anthracite Gray over airbrushed shades of med gray, sky blue, raf pru blue, and deep sea blue (all flat colors), and it looks great. This could be useful. I almost wish I had something to do with it besides paint up test parts from wrecked models. I am using Anthracite Gray over Aircraft Interior black (flat) on a mech model right now. It's not quite the extreme shading variation they had in mind with this paint, but it is at least giving me easy flat to gloss shading & panel variations.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

On the "Paints" section of the Testors web site, they have the Car & Truck

1/2 oz Enamels here:
. In those descriptions (if you click a color link), they all say "Many are semi-transparent pearlescents, and by altering the base coat, a modeler will be able to achieve subtle color variations and tones." I see some in that list that I'm sure are not semi-transparent.

I put Anthracite Gray over airbrushed shades of med gray, sky blue, raf pru blue, and deep sea blue (all flat colors), and it looks great. This could be useful. I almost wish I had something to do with it besides paint up

8test parts from wrecked models. I am using Anthracite Gray over Aircraft Interior black (flat) on a mech model right now. It's not quite the extreme shading variation they had in mind with this paint, but it is at least giving me easy flat to gloss shading & panel variations.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

I think "Roadstar Orange" is semi-transparent. I used some over a coat of FS30219 on a Modelhaus '58 Lincoln. So far, pretty good. I'm not sure if it's close to any stock Lincoln colours but it's attractive.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes, I've used some of the engine colors and they're sufficiently opaque.

I'll have to try some more of the "exterior" colors, could be most of them are transparent. I hope the Plum Crazy isn't. While having to use an undercoat doubles the work it will give us a lot of variants. They also indicate by using more thinner than paint you can get a flat finish.

Thanks,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper