Re: Best 1/72 MkI/II spitfire kit

Mark, Having recently eBayed my 1/72 kits to concentrate (ha!) on 1/48, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Airfix 1/72 Spitfires. True, they have raised details and need to be scribed, but shapewise they're the best so far. The Tamiya 1/72 kits - rather like their 1/48 ones - are beautifully moulded and have recessed details. But the front ends have never looked quite right to me. You can forget the Revell ones, though the Italeri Mk.V could be backdated if you really wanted to. The moral is there's no drop-dead perfect Spitfire out there, unless anybody knows different? Chek

Reply to
Chek

I agree that the Airfix Spitfire I is the best starting point for a 1/72 Spitfire. The Hasegawa lacks the gullwing, and the Tamiya has a dubious front end and the canopy isn't quite right either. However, the Airfix needs a lot of cockpit work--it comes only with a seat and a gunsight, neither of which I would use anyway, and no sidewall detail. The main landing gear combines the leg and door, which I also don't like. It might be a good idea to scavenge the main gear from another kit, but I'd definetly consider aftermarket for the cockpit.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Well - sounds like I'm going to have to bash a few kits up and see what I can come up with! Really into leaving the cockpit open and aftermarket is no problems for me. I reckon I'll start by buying the airfix kit and take a look for myself to decide what else I'll need but it sounds like the Hasegawa might be worth a look too. The spit is my all time favourite to see in real life (and I see them quite a bit), it's about the only thing that makes me feel patriotic so I want to do it justice :-)

Thanks a lot for the responses!

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

Welcome to The One True Scale, brother! Do not be swayed by the latest siren songs of Trumpeter, Academy, and Hasegawa..... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski