What's the lineage of the 1/72 Revell Germany J-35 Draken

Hey folks!

Subject header says it all. I'm curious because the kit has the shoulder sidewinder rails and I haven't seen any other kits that do. BTW, I'm talking about the newer kit # 4381 not the ancient old 'box scale' one they did back in the six- ties as Revell in America.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Particularly from someone who may have built this baby. I may start investing in a couple if it turns out to be a new or decently tooled kit. :)

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

Haven't seen it so I can't comment but the old one was 1/71 and matched nicely with the Airfix J35F. Considering that the old one came out around the same time as the real thing, the surface detail is very impressive.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It is NOT a nice kit. It is nice to give to your 11 years old son as a first kit. But if you want to make a Draken. Hasegawa is the best and Airfix number two. Then it's a huge gap to the revell kit.

The Revell j35 Draken kit it is not worth the trouble of assembling, There are many obvious faults. As a fellow IPMS Stockholm modeler wrote (Hugis):

"-The whole fuselage and wings are covered with depressions, that are likely to resemble rivets. On the real Draken all rivetheads are sanded smooth and do not protrude or extrude from the skin of the plane.

-The landig gear looks like something from Lego. It's nowhere close to looking like a real landíng gear.

-The outer wings are thicker than the attachmentpoint on the inner wings, which means you will have use a lot of plastic card or file down the whole outer wing to half its thickness.

Get a Hasegawa, it is lightyears better. It has really good detailing and is quite accurate."

Don't missout the re-release of Hasegawa Draken in late march, and get two draken in one box. Even if its the Austrian one, it a correct Swedish J35F and J. Not the Austrian J35D!!! If you already got the revell kit, you did the same misstake as I did...

//André IPMS Sweden/IPMS Philippines

"Mad-Modeller" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com...

Reply to
André

Which Revell kit are you talking about? The old one or the new one Andy asked about?

Reply to
frank

To my knowledge it is the the new one, even if I think Hugis talked about the old one in the IPMS stockholm forum. Too my experience, as I only built the new one, is that it has big flaws and should be concidered as a kit for people don't really interested in what Draken realy looks like, as both airfix and hasegawa is far better. And most of the flaws of the old one are still there. As there are better kits out there go for them. If you can't find hasegawa's go for the airfix, a pretty nice little kit.

//André

"frank" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
André

But without the shoulder sidewinder rails i think. but they can be made with plastic card easy

//André

"frank" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
André

But without the shoulder sidewinder rails i think. but they can pretty easy be made with plastic card

//André

"André" skrev i meddelandet news:dv25gc$okr$ snipped-for-privacy@black.telenor.se...

Reply to
André

You guys are making me feel guilty. My Airfix Draken has been half finished since it was new !:) Cockpit, wheel wells, swing out generator all scratchbuilt before after market stuff came out.

The old Revell kit does have better engine intakes than the Airfix kit and mine were swiped from the Revell kit. The only real change needed to do an early Finnish Draken was to reshape the top of the tail. I know, I could get the Hasegawa kit, but it's half done and it is looking good, at least to me.

That is what counts, right Al?

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

And thus I learned something. Thanks Andre!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

My intentions are only to help you. So don't miss Hasegawas rerelease... In the IPMS Stockholm they told me the the new Revell is the old one with some new plastic, Still not good. I can only hope Hasegawa will release an SK35C as the mould suggest is possible... PLEASE Or at least someone will make a conversionkit...

//André

"Mad-Modeller" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@nextl> >

Reply to
André

Whatever happened to the Heller kit? That one had several configuration options. I built one as a Danish TF-35 years ago.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'd like to know that too, even though I have one in the stash. Its major shortcoming in modern eyes is raised panel lines, otherwise it is well-detailed with reasonable gear and cockpit, although see-through to the tailpipe must be taken care of and the gear bays need detail.

I like tandem 2-seat versions of fighters better than the single-seat versions in most cases (F-16 and Eurofighter Typhoon are currently exceptions), and the Heller kit is the only one I know that had the tandem cockpit included - but I also want to build a PR version, and Heller had the PR nose for the RF-35 too. Perhaps I can use the leftover PR nose on a Hasegawa model....

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I recently finished a Heller Draken. I used an Eduard detail set. Painted in one of the retirement schemes (yellow with large black swordfish on top of the wings).

Not a competition winner but I am pleased with it.

As another poster said, that whats the hobby is about.

Cheers Ultan

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

I have no idea. I wish to find some soon, as I want some SK and RF in my collection. If I'm not entierly wrong hellers is close to Airfix kit(without some candy), but I can be wrong.

//André

"Ultan Ro> > >

rerelease...

Reply to
André

I got the following from a 1997 posting to this newsgroup. In summary, it is my understanding that the Heller and Airfix are different kits.

Cheers Ultan

Airfix, Heller, Hasegawa, and Revell all have 1/72 J-35 Drakens. The Hasegawa J-35J is the latest tooling and is currently easily available. The kit features nice recessed panel lines and auxilliary fuel tanks. The kit is obviously designed to accomodate rekitting to all versions (althouhg not yet released) from the J-35 prototype to the J-35F, including the reconnaisance and two seater versions, along with export modifications. Whether we see the other versions depends upon Hasegawa and the sale of the current three versions avialable. Hellers J-35F also offers the Danish RF-35 reconnaisance version and the Danish TF-35 two seater version, but features raised panel lines (pick your pain). The Heller kit is not cut to easily convert to earlier J-35 variants. Airfix's J-35 features raised panel lines and appears somewhat cruder than Heller's or Hasegawa's kits. Revell's J-35 features scribed panel lines and indented rivets and sort of resembles the J-35A early production before the change to the Model

66 afterburner. Revell's wing plan also seems somewhat narrower than the previous kits.
Reply to
Ultan Rooney

thanx. Hope Hasegawa releases some new versions, as the moulding gives a hint of...

//André

"Ultan Rooney" skrev i meddelandet news:U05Uf.840$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optus.net.au...

Reply to
André