Which 1/72 F-15?

To provide me with a bit of a break from building acres of F-4s and Spitfires, I quite fancy building an F-15.

Which 1/72 kit would you recommend, Academy or Hasegawa?

I know that the Academy one is half the price of the Hasegawa one. However doesn't the Hasegawa one have raised panel lines? Is the Academy kit of a similar quality to their F-8?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Deffo the Hasegawa kit matey (Y) recessed panel lines..... seperate parts for the engine nozzles c/w actuators (No turkey feathers)detailed cockpit etc. No weaponry tho (if I recall) Verlindens Lock on book for the F-15 reviews this kit and other Eagles.

Regards Simon

Reply to
SiG

Thanks, Simon. Hasegawa it is then.

Every review of the Hasegawa kit that I've read makes mention of the raised panel lines, however I see from the Hannants site that there are a number of different kits. I imagine that the more expensive ones are the later kits as you described.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Yes sorry about that...there was an early F-15 from hasegawa which did indeed have raised lines etc....but I would imagine most would be the latest issue as previously described..I have the F-15C which includes markings for a Keflavik based a/c and also a Soersterburg a/c can't really remember any other markings but I intend to do a mod eagle a/c from hawaii with mine(Superscale decals and stencil Data) when I eventually get round to it (Sea Harrier FR Mk 1 and Fulcrum C currently under construction at moment)

hope this clarifies things... Simon

Reply to
SiG

Thanks again Simon. It does clarify things.

I've always admired the F-15As of the 48th FIS at Langley, with their blue and white striped rudders and the chevron on the fin. I have an old Baremetal Decals sheet that I'd like to use. Sadly, I have a tendency to build variations on a theme. I'm a little scared that I'll think that an F-15A needs an AMRAAM equipped F-15C and an F-15E displayed next to it. Then, what about a really early aircraft in air-superiority blue? And then they just need a T-bird jet, don't they? By that time I'm too far down that slippy slope again!!!

:-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

We have a snack food that advertises itself with the line, "You can't eat just one!" F-15s are in that category.

I bought one of Monogram's first kits with the test aircraft's wingtips in blue plastic. Unfortunately the main fuselage piece that carries the horizontal stabs was short-shot. Sending off for a new piece got me a grey piece with the service aircraft's tips. I went ahead and built it as a service aircraft and followed that up with an Airfix A/B built as the B. Shortly after that Monogram brought out an 'E' kit so I started on that. Going to shows netted me another perfect YF-15 kit and that one was queued for a build too. Then I decided to start unloading things. The YF-15 was sold as were the other 2 or 3 kits I had acquired and the F-15E was never finished, eventually being scrapped for parts.

There have been a few 1/144th kits bought to replace the larger ones now gone. F-15s are darn hard to kick.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

like those damn he111's and do335's i buy by the bagful. i noticed something funny, i don't have a single early one with the un-unified cockpit/bambers windows.

111, of course. i just finished hacking a do 666 or whatever the double 335 was called. i used the lindberg's of course, so it was a $4 build and looks kinda neat. the panel lines are weak but i'm getting better.

"I've always admired the F-15As of the 48th FIS at Langley, with their blue and white striped rudders and the chevron on the fin. I have an old F-15A needs an AMRAAM equipped F-15C and an F-15E displayed next to it. they just need a T-bird jet, don't they? By that time I'm too far down that slippy slope again!!!" and Enzo something else you forgot about Langley AFB, NASA had an F-106 Lightning bird also, I used to watch that bird taking off from EOR all the time wow what a burner that thing had on it brings real meaning to kick the tires light the fire, so technically you could build like a Langley dio of F-15 A,B,C & Ds, T-80s and the F-106

Reply to
Daryl

Bill I agree most heartly I spent 15 years of my 20 year Airforce career crewing all models of F-15s, 10 1/2 at Langley, 2 at Kadena and 2 1/2 at Eglin's test center, they will always have a place in my heart

Reply to
Daryl

Aghhhhhh!!!!!! *More* variations on a theme!!!! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Reply to
Stanley Parker

I forgot to mention the B-25 obsession I suffer from too. I must have had 10 of those built. Superscale fed the problem. I bought one of their sheets and couldn't build just one of them. All the markings were too neat and they all ended up being used. Then I built one as a Marine PBJ just because... Yep, bought some of those 1/144th B-25s too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i burned through b-25's when i was about 14. happily i'm still burned. i think they were revells. who made a 1/48 then? maybe it was 1/72 and i was smaller. had to be an early model because there was a lot of glass, so prolly a c. i've built 1/144 kits too, of really big stuff. no spits or other nonsense. i'd go blind..er.

Monogram had a 1/67 'H' out. Revell had a 1/64 'B' (Doolittle Raider). I think Monogram also had a 1/48 gun-nose Mitchell and possibly Revell put out a glass-nose kit. I'm pretty fuzzy when it comes to 1/48 stuff.

IIRC, my group was made up of Frog, Airfix, Italeri and a Monogram snapper all in glorious 1/72.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller