f-16 1/72

Does anyone know if anybody makes a 1/72 F16 kit that has the wings and upper fuselage molded as one piece? I'd like to avoid all the body work.

Also, what's a good online source for models and decals? Seqarching I don't seem to find any that have LOTS of stuff to browse.

Thanks

Billy Roach (Back into modeling after 20 years off.)

Reply to
roach ah#123

The three easily available 1/72 kits - Hasegawa, Revell and Academy - all have seperate wings. Of those three, I would recommend the Revell kit.

It is possible that the forthcoming Hobby Boss kit will have integral wings and upper fuselage. Their F/A-18 kit certainly did. However, most Hobby Boss kits are of the "Easy Build" type, which is effectively a detailed snap-together kit.

Depending on where you are in the world, it might be useful to browse the Hannants site to find what you want and then source it from somewhere closer to home.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Enzo pretty much covered the kits, here are some good online retailers: Squadron, probably the largest in the U.S.:

North American Hobbies:

And I've heard nothing but good things about Sprue Brothers:

For decals, I don't think you can beat FlightDecs:

Good luck on your quest and welcome back to the hobby.

Also, here's some of my favorite modeling forums to check out now that you're back into the hobby (RMS just ain't what it used to be):

Don McIntyre

ehobbies

hobby lobby, the chain store will ship its models that it has in stock,check their website.

I have used hobbylinc, squadron and ehobbies and will vouch for them. I have had no problems with ordering from them. also hobby lobby. though you may want to look at crafts inc, their mail order store for sales. it shows up on their site.

most manufacturers also sell on line, though its usually full price. but, for that kit you can't find.....well,

I found a British site that was expensive for mail order, $40 or so US. Just for postage. but, they have the kit, so......will think about it.

regards.

Frank

Reply to
frank

Thanks fellas. That gives me a great start. I found online humbrol color charts, FS col;or numbers and a bunch of other reference materials, stuff that would have had to be collected in books and mags in the past. This computer stuff is great for this hobby.

Thanks again

Bill

Reply to
roach ah#123

Enzo,

It kind of depends on the definition of "separate." I just did four of the Revell F-16's, and the wing is attached to the center fuselage. Granted, that requires a bit of alignment, but nothing as tricky as two separate wings needing to be plugged in to the fuselage. It was pretty easy, in fact. It's the tricky seam that runs across the fuselage behind the cockpit that's messy!

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

A not _TOO_ horrible kit of the YF-16 that fits the bill you're asking for is the ancient assed Revell America kit. It's the one that comes with all the different load out options, the underwing sidewinder pylons, 'finned' tanks, and incorrect pitot tube/gear doors. It also comes with a tug, engine, tow bar and ground crewmen.

I've built several of them over the years and with a little skill and imagination they can be built into very nice kits of a very early A or the prototypes. I've used the tugs, ground crew, weapons, and engines for a variety of kits and dioramas.

Hope this helps!

-andyh

Reply to
Drew Hill

A not _TOO_ horrible kit of the YF-16 that fits the bill you're asking for is the ancient assed Revell America kit.

Hey, that would be perfect. What I have is an old Hasegawa kit of the prototype that I started 20 years ago, did all the body work, then stopped building. I found it recently cleaning the basement missing one wing, but I still have the markings from it for the yf or the CCV testbed, and I'd like to use on or the other of the markings I have. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks

Bill Roach

Reply to
roach ah#123

Yes, you are quite right! I went from memory on the Revell kit and fixated on the memory of a tricky seam. Serves me right for not dragging one out of the stash and double checking.

The Revell kit is definitely the best option, but there is still the need to hide the transverse seam where the forward fuselage joins the centre fuselgae. Get that wrong and you're in a world of hurt!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix