Why the lack of new 1/72 decals?

Just picked up the Academy's F-8 Crusader and started trying to find decals for it. I found there are very few choices that work with this version in
the kit. Same thing with Academy's P-38 kit, nothing really new in decals for it. Why are there so few new decals coming out for 1/72 kits. I see more and more decals for 1/48 but they don't seem to make them in 1/72. Eric
The decal makers go where the market is... :(

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Then you have IsraDecals, IIRC, creating 1/72 decals for a market that doesn't exist, the non-existant 1/72 Vautour, for about 2 years now.............................
Al Superczynski wrote:

There are fourteen 1/72 scale Vautour kits out there and three more coming.
Vacuform IIAs from Airmodel & Eurovac; cast resin IIAs from Hi-Tech & Replica; a listing from Bevelite that I need more information on and an upcomng kit from Azur. Vacuform IIB from Eurovac; cast resin IIBs from Hi Tech & Replica; upcomng kit from Azur. Vautour IINs from Eurovac & O'Neill; cast resin IINs from Hi Tech & Replica; injection molded kits IIN kits from Eurokit & Mach ( I have this one, rough but buildable) with one planned by Special Hobby.
All hard to find, but a market nonetheless. The decals are superb, BTW.
Tom
frank wrote:

Well, maybe I should have said 'readily available'. I know there were some limited in the past & there are some coming, but when? Haven't they been announced a couple of years now? That's like making decals for Aurora kits, or the Revell George or the ITC Staggerwing. Not a real market, but in the days of just punching a button & making bigger or smaller decals, I guess it's feasible to do so.
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

Trust me, Frank. There's a *lot* more to it that just punching a button to make an existing decal in a different scale. BTDT, got the T-shirt and baseball cap... ;)

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond

Prices have gone up? I've seen at least one decal maker pull the plug because of it.
--
Harro de Jong
remove the extra Xs from xmsnet to mail me
cc wrote:

Brooklyn Modeler wrote:

I know I bought a lot of F11Fs and A3Js just because there were so many neat examples on the Micro/Superscale sheets. "I couldn't eat just one!"
The last 2 issues of "Revi" have several sheets listed in 1/72. There are two sheets out that cover US aircraft in Soviet service. Building a Thunderbolt and marking it with those would be different. Not everyone will have one.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.