What primer to use for tamiya acrylics?

Hi

I have used Krylon for years under my Tamiya acrilics with no problems and have aircrafts, tanks and ships painted this way sitting in my cabinet for 5-8 years now looking fine. But I don't like the way Krylon comes out of the can anymore and I don't want to airbrush it as I hate the non water based clean up mess. What do you guys use with acrylics as a primer? Tamiya primer? What else? Saving a buck is fine so if it can be found at hardware store its ok.

Thanks a lot

patrick

Reply to
varois83

I use ordinary cellulose vehicle primer from a rattle can. I've always had good results with that..

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Thanks Enzo I will check it out.

Patrick

Reply to
varois83

Rattle cans are tough for me to control. I always use a primer under acrylics, they adhere better. My favorite primer for years was an enamel, either Pactra Flat White or Rebel Gray, thinned with lacquer thinner, which gave it some "bite" into the plastic. Since Pactra has "gone west" I have switched to a Floquil Model Railroad enamel, either Reefer White or a medium gray color, again thinned with lacquer thinner.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I use Holts Duplicolor automotive primer in white or grey in the rattle cans .I have decanted it into spare paint bottles by taking out the spray nozzle and inserting a piece of plastic tube in to the nozzle and spray it into the bottle.It will foam up ,so you need to let it settle so the carrier can dissipate, then you can use it in your airbrush ,but you need an acrylic lacquer primer for clean up, normal generic lacquer thinner will create a goopy mess in your airbrush. Don't ask how I know this.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

"gone west, bill? new one on me. i know gone south, especially about automotive junk.

I know primer is an essential step in model coverage,but,when a manufacturer uses a mold color way off of what the intended color should be,that makes it more difficult i would think.

Reply to
teem

with liv tyler? i'll ride that one, baby.

It sounds rather Tolkien, as in taking ship to the West.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Nothing like a moulded red model car body, except maybe yellow. I much prefer good old virgin white.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I recently used Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer for the first time on a Tamiya 1/72 Shiden using all Tamiya acrylic paints. The Tamiya primer comes in a spray can and is available in white or gray. I used the gray primer and it worked well. It's a little pricey but I figured you couldn't go wrong using Tamiya primer and Tamiya paint on a Tamiya model. ;^)

The end result was actually better than I expected and I recommend Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer.

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

Hah! Are you old enough to remember the bilious colors some of the old Aurora kits were molded in??

Bill Shuey who is giving away his age here!

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I remember a red Me-109, a black FW-190, and an odd blue P-38. Anyone else remember others. Huge rivits, a head molded on top of a close cockpit and closed landing gear doors molded onto the wing with holes next to them to glue the open gear and doors. The outlines of the insignia etched into the fuselage and wings. And then of course glossy, thick PLA paints for details.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Had all three you name plus the puke green MiG-15 with the grossly incorrect "T" shaped tail and a canary yellow Japanese Zero. I *think* I also had an F-86D (don't remember the color) but for some reason I remember the rocket tray and an F-90(?) and an F-94C in silver. The MiG I remember well; the other three may be hallucinations.

BTW I also had a Texan that I think was canary yellow.

Art CRS Sufferer

Reply to
Art Murray

silver and a nacreous brown. don't remember what kits.

I had the Green Mig - but for some reason I though it was marketed as a 17.

I also had a bright yellow texan - but it was from Monogram. a bit thivk on details but built up into one of the more memorable kits of the time.

I also remember the big bomber kits - B-29, B-25 molded in grey. Got those as Birthday gifts one year.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Actually the MiG was marketed as a '19'. Lindberg had a '19' that was very similar in appearance but for the twin-engined configuration. They both remind me of the Focke-Wulf Ta 183.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I still have the yellow T6 Texan ,unbuilt as yet.Been thinking of foiling it .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Anyway,the kit I'm talking about is the Enterprise NX-01,the last show on upn.Its mold color is a dark sand,& the paints call for 3 different greys/silvers.That Tamiya rattlle cans sound like the way to go.

Reply to
teem