Has anybody built the Amodel 1:72 Rutan Voyager ?

I just picked one of those up in my hobby shop. I mostly build automotive and railroad models. But I couldn't pass up this model...

From looking at the model it looks like low volume injection molded kit. Lots of flash and thick parts. Decals are printed on a very flat (satin) looking film.

Has anybody built this kit yet? Let me know how it builds up.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

A friend built one. Lots of sanding and reshaping to make things fit. I think it would rate as a tough build.

Bert Rutan is a long time acquaintance. Sent him one and his reply was very negative. Aside from the licensing problem he was tcked off at the low quality. Much happier with the Unicraft models of some of his projects.

Good luck.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I think I've seen this in a shop, myself. A peace symbol on the packaging? (Was that part of the markings of the Voyager?)

Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

Uzytkownik "Peter W." napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

The kit is not so bad, as it looks on the first glimpse (if You remember, that it is short run). After cleaning from flash, parts fit is good, except fuselage halves, but not very much. Canopy is poor, but so tiny, that You need not to bother about that. Aircrafts interior was dark, canopy had smoky shade, so interior is quite invisible. Just dip canopy in mix Future/Tamiya Smoke, and it looks good. The fit of the side windows is not good, but its better replace them with glued in clear styrene sheet and sand flush. After coat of Future looks good. Also poor is the undercarriage, needs lots of work. There some mistakes around engines, if You want to fix it, You must look on the original aircraft pictures. But model OOB also looks good. Decals are very good This kit really attracts pepole, when on the shelf.

-- Greetings Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Dmitruk

I suspected that it would be a tough build. Thanks for the info!

I wish that some bigger model company made a better model of that aircraft. But, Amodel is better than a scratchbuild (which I wouldn't attempt anyway).

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Very interesting, since I always wondered why there are almost no models of his aircraft, including very limited run resin models. The Unicraft site doesn't mention the name 'Rutan' for its Spaceship One / White Knight, so I concluded they didn't ask for permission (but I could be wrong). Do you know whether Rutan's licensing policy is very strict or costly?

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Igor Shestakov (Unicraft) contacted Rutan (or whatever the company is called) to ask about getting some official plans, and was ordered to cease production and destroy all models. However, he argued that his kit was produced only using photographs and drawings available to the public, and, after removing the names 'Rutan', 'White Knight' and 'Spaceship One' (which WERE originally on the site), continues to sell. Exactly what Rutan think of this, I can't say.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Rob

No idea about costly, but he is a perfectionist. Any kit produced with his permission would have to be really good.

Oh, and it's not a good idea to mention Ms.Yeager in his presence. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

She wasn't perfect?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Don't know. I'm sure that he would have done the flight solo if it had been possible.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I don't think I've ever seen a close-up picture but I'll guess that she wasn't the best pilot. Or was it something more personal?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Very informative Piotr!

Bardzo dziekuje!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Take a lock at this - which is build by my Friend Bernhard -

another Rutan from Axel Fischer (a litte off topic - but very good) Rutan Proteus
Cheers HenningOL

Reply to
HenningOL

Very nice models - congratulations to both builders!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I built one a few years ago. Not for beginners, but cleaned up well and looks good hanging from the ceiling.

Ed

Reply to
ModelerET2

I've built the kit. It certainly is not Tamiya or Hasegawa quality, but where else are you going to get a Voyager?!?! It does have some flash to deal with and it's very important to make sure you get the right parts for left and right for the fuselage halves and canards. I got mine backwards and had to take it apart and re-do. The decals are very thin and can fall apart if not careful. Builds up into a nice model though, certainly an eye-catcher at shows. Be sure to leave a lot of room on your shelf--the wingspan is very long. As far as Dick and Burt Rutan are concerned, i'm sure they don't want anyone building a kit of their aircraft without licensing, but I think they should be honored that their aircraft have the attention they deserve. I would love to have a whole collection of Rutan aircraft, from the "Variviggen" (remember Death Race

2000"?) to the new Spaceship One. Maybe one of the big companies will do the latter since it has had so much airplay on TV.
Reply to
TWardF86