New AModel I-16

Hi, AModel has released two new (?) I-16. Realy new or just the old kit with new decals?

Cheers Volker

Reply to
Volker Beyer

U¿ytkownik "Volker Beyer" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:ci8kmn$pjm$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.ewetel.de...

Old kit, but decals are quite interesting- republican spanish

-- Greetings Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Dmitruk

According to Earl at NKR Models

they're the old kit with new decals. It's a shame, because Amodel's recent kits (Yak-9U, Yak-9P, Polikarpov I-180) have improved a lot, and a brand-new mold to their current quality level would have been very welcome. A modern, well-molded early I-16 in 1/72 is badly needed (as are new 1/72 kits of the I-153, La-5 series, and Yak-1b!).

Regards;

John Thompson

Reply to
John Thompson

ICM had a new mould I-16 available. I've not tried to build it but it looks good but delicate in the box.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'm waiting for that promised AZUR 1/32 scale I-16.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Quality of the new I-16 apparently varies drastically from example to example--as in, sink marks galore for some, but not others. Two different guys built it for a recent club contest on Soviet fighters of WWII, and had the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Correct, but the ICM kit is a *late* I-16. There are some significant differences between, say, an I-16 type 5 (Amodel) and an I-16 type 28 (ICM). Converting the ICM back to a type 5 could be possible by using the Amodel kit as a parts donor, but I'm too lazy to attempt that, so I'm hoping someone will release a new-mold *early* I-16. FWIW, the ICM kit does look great when it's finished. The wings need particular attention with regard to dry-fitting, because of their somewhat complicated mold design. And, as commented elsewhere in this thread, yes, any individual example of this kit may or may not have sink marks, some of them in places which are difficult to clean up without harming the surrounding detail. The first release (type 24) seemed somewhat better in this respect than the later versions (types 28 and

18), but regardless, the kit is so neat that it's definitely worth the effort. I think I have about eight of them in my stash... ;-) Oh, the decals are crappy, though - apply at least one, maybe two coats of Microscale liquid decal film and allow it to dry well before you try to soak them. Too bad the aftermarket decal makers are still ignoring this excellent little kit!

John Thompson

Reply to
John Thompson

So how's the Revell I-16 stack up? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

It's simpler to build but the wing shapes are wrong. There are probably other inaccuracies but the kit was first issued in '65 or '66 when access to Soviet types was less easily achieved.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Only slightly OT.

Asde from the original I-16 in the Hiller Museum in San Carlos, are there any others in the US?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I started A Revell I-16 a few years ago. I started by adding some ribbing detail to the elevators. I then got sidetracked and it sits in its box somewhere. I think it is a neat little model and have always liked it. The thing is from a simpler time and lacks fine detail and has open wheel wells. I just received an ICM I-16 and in my tired eyes it looks sweet (IMO)

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Many years ago there was an accurizing kit for the Revell I-16 from Guano Aeroplane & Zeppelin Works. It had injection molded parts with some scored sheet plastic to complete the job.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

ISTR Fred Henderson suggesting sawing the wings off and using the outer wing panels from Airfix's Il-2 kit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller