anybody built a Quaker?

I downloaded the plans for the Quaker Too from

Now that I got them printed and I'm looking at the structure, it doesn't
exactly make sense. The fuselage side drawing shows a truss with
stringers that appear to be on the outside. The top drawing doesn't
show two layers, it just shows one, as if the truss and stringers are
patched together in pieces rather than the stringers being applied to
the outside of the truss.
Obviously these plans were done by an airplane enthusiast with a CAD
program, and they don't meet the detail standards of a good magazine
article.
If any of you have built a Quaker, maybe you can remember how the
fuselage is put together and give me a hint. I'm sure I could come up
with something that would work, I'm just curious how the original was done.
Reply to
Robert Reynolds
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:43:45 -0600, Robert Reynolds wrote in :
Yes, that's how it looks to me, too.
That means that the fuselage won't be a plain rectangle. Gives it more character.
I think you would build the truss over the plans (as usual), then add the stringers (longerons) afterward.
Be sure to build a left side and a right side--longerons on the left side of the left side of the fuse, on the right side of the right side of the fuse.
They look pretty straightforward to me. It's your plane. You can build it any way that you think will work.
Marty
Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ
I figured that's what I would do, even there aren't any external stringers on the top view. It seems like it would look better that way.
I'll probably simplify the landing gear, too.
Reply to
Robert Reynolds
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:37:51 -0600, Robert Reynolds wrote in :
Yes, I saw that, too. No matter which way you draw it, there would be interpretation problems, I guess. A little note that the side stringers aren't shown would be useful (if we're right that the side stringers go on outside the fuselage).
Let us know how it all turns out!
Marty
Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ
in :
I have a bunch of transparent red, yellow and green monokote I've been saving. I wanted to put it on an old timer or a big Paragon glider I've been wanting to build. Looks like it will likely go on the Quaker. I'm working on building a site where I can post photos again, among other things. I'll let you know.
Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Site Timeline