AR15 evaluation

My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a parking lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be rare. Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert in this area.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Nice ones in local gun shops here are going for over 1500 bucks . And up , way up .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:49203d59$0$33705$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Beware the ATF: the "keyword" is "noise suppressor".

While the AR-15 is a semi-auto, the M-16 that was derived it is a selective fire [ATF Type 3 license required] and noise suppressors [aka silencers - Type 3 license required] can each be used in an ATF "sting".

Reply to
Eregon

The prices are shooting up fast after the election. There are so many variables it's hard to say how to check it out with at least a list of who made the upper & lower receivers & the barrel, or a photo.

Also, if it is a true "noise suppressor" (i.e. silencer), there are all sorts of legal issues with owning or selling one. If it's a flash hider (more likely), then it's mostly window dressing for a civilian rifle.

The best place to get real info is

but you will need to register & pay a small fee to post.

It's very easy to say an AR15 is "accurized", but it's hard to prove. I've built a couple, and all the accuracy is in little details that aren't obviously labeled.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Easy to prove. Take to 100 yd range with seller-recommended ammo, see how it groups. 5-shot groups of under 1" could be regarded as accurate -- though many production rifles can now shoot 1/2" groups right out of the box for $600 and less.

Reply to
Don Foreman

cash in a parking lot... are you kidding... what a great way to buy a STOLEN GUN!!!! If you do buy it,, offer half of what he is asking.... Also, while he is still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the serial number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and have pd meet up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

if he is honest, no issue,, but if pd shows and the guy takes off... well....you know the answer to the serial number question.

Reply to
Bob in Phx

I read the original post and thought "hmm. sounds stolen to me".

Second to walking away, this sounds like the best solution. At least depending on how responsive the local PD is (and whether they'll feel envious about the gun...).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

This is news to me. I knew they did handguns. Are rifles now registered? I'm certain none of the ones I presently own are. "The kid" is pretty sure its not hot or i wouldn't touch it. But, i think I'll pass on this deal.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The police may have serial numbers of stolen guns if the rightful owner provided them after the theft.

A bone-fide seller would have a bill of sale with serial number, and this can be checked with the dealer that sold it.

Value check: one can get a brand-new Ruger mini-14 (semiauto) rifle in .223 for under $600. The CZ527 American bolt-action rifle in .223 is under $500 new if you shop, and the two I know of (mine and one other) deliver groups under 3/4" (100 yd) right out of the box.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Depends on where you are. Where I live, handguns aren't registered either; some places, handguns and rifles are both registered.

But whether registered or not, the PD should be able to verify whether it's been reported stolen.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I bought a Mini 14 when slick Willie moved in. Nice enough rifle but not that accurate. Now that Obama is moving in, I'd like a more accurate semi-auto. I think I'll wait for the current buying frenzy to subside and go buy new at a local shop. I have yet to ever sell a gun I purchased. Started by working all summer at 12 to buy a Remington 870. Anyway, I'd rather have quality than price.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Remington 700 in .220 Swift or .22-250 and great optics.

Reply to
Buerste

Ruger 77 in .270 with 6-24x . Better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than the .22 cals and shoots damn near as flat . Reach out and touch ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

And, the Swift tends to burn out barrels. Pink-misters, all. I would have recommended .240 Gibbs but it has too many PIAs attached. Never again a cartridge I can't but off a shelf!

Reply to
Buerste

I wonder if that's really true. If you buy from a FFL dealer, ATF form 4473 is completed for rifles as well as handguns, and the make,model and SN are on this form. These forms are kept somewhere.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Legally, they are only to be kept in the gun store. As a practical matter, "Operation Forward Trace" was used to basically create exactly the sort of database I'm inferring you're concerned about. See

(I don't know the history of Operation Forward Trace in the years since -- I'd be delighted to hear a statement that it has been discontinued).

Regardless, if you don't buy from an FFL dealer, the form isn't completed.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

The forms are kept at the dealers place until that dealer goes out of business and then the records are supposed to be shipped to the ATF. Of course when the ATF gets them, they have people working to computerize the records.

Wes

Wes

They are kept by the dealer until he gives up his license and he sends his records to the BATFE.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

gets them, they

By law, the BATFE is not allowed to computerize the records. They do it anyway, Congress cuts their funding by the amount they spent, everybody's happy but the database still exists. The only problem is the large number of records that have yet to be entered.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I'm not tuned into gun-buying, but that seems not entirely right -- I could see a perfectly legitimate sale of a used gun happening without a bill of sale being exchanged. Maybe not _smart_, but _legitimate_.

I mean, a _car_ you need the title or bill of sale to satisfy the state when you go to get title & registration -- but if the state doesn't track gun titles then I don't see that being an issue.

But I could see a wise buyer wanting to get a bill-o-sale on a gun to avoid problems down the road.

Reply to
Tim Wescott