AR15 evaluation

I know gun preferences are like cars and opinions, but if he wants a military semi auto, suggest that he takes a look at an M1A. You can get a new Springfield Armory M1A for about what he'll pay for the AR, and he will have a much more useful rifle without attracting the "assault weapon" attention.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

A face-to-face sale is entirely legal in most states, or any state I'd ever want to live in. The buyer and seller have to reside in the same state as the transaction. If you don't know the other party, I'd ask them to bring a photocopy of their state driver's license. Barring that, if they have a concealed handgun license, ask to see it. Keep emails etc about the transaction. Print them and file them.

But your later post about waiting is correct. the current feeding frenzy is the result of the ignorant suddenly waking up and realizing "everyone in the US has an AR except me, and Obama is about to cut me off". ARs and Aks will be available for some time to come. Neither is worth the prices some vendors are chargin lately.

Best bet right now is to buy a stripped lower receiver. It's the only regulated part. these are going for over $125 most places, but there are deals. There is a group buy going on 1919M4.com for $78 + shipping.

Buy several, it's a good investment. Then you can build over time to the configuration you want, after you know enough about them to decide that.

Reply to
RB

You're right, a legit owner might not have a bill of sale. I'd be wary of buying from such a seller.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I wasnt talking about registering the gun. I dont know what the laws in the state that the OP is in. I was talking about the possibility (very high in my opinion) that this gun was stolen. If the Owner of the gun reported it stolen, then the Police will be able to trace the serial numbers. If its not stolen then no big deal, unless there are laws about selling in the OP's state or town.

Reply to
Bob in Phx

That's good advice for people worried about another ban and wanting to not jump all the way in now.

Just keep in mind that a lower receiver is technically a firearm and regulated as such, so even though it's just a chunk of metal, in the eyes of the law, it's the same as a completed and functional gun. If you need to keep records on sales/transfers (depending on where you live) for firearms, they apply to this component, but not the other parts.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I have many firearms that I don't have the sales receipts for. After 5 - 30 years or so, that stuff gets lost.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Just like the clinonista's kept instant check data past the legal date for QA purposes.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

IIRC, the earlier black rifle ban had language stating the firearm had to be fully assembled before the date of enactment.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It happens every day, and it's perfectly legal. A bill of sale is a rare thing in my experience. Just look at their driver's license, or preferable a CHL. If they are over 21 and live in your state, and the other party does not look or act like a criminal, you're in good shape.

Reply to
RB

At which point the BATF will enter them into their illegal database. Again.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Most person to person sales have no receipt in the first place, particularly those made before 1994

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:44:51

-0800 >

years or so,

You want a bill-of-sale, wait while I make one out. Or if you're going to ask for one, let me know and I'll dig it out. (Read that as "write one up".)

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

CHL. You show me yours, I'll show you mine. Cash and gun changes hands. Good enough for me.

Reply to
west

It's legal depending on what state you live it.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That would work for me. You don't get one if you commited a felony or beat your spouse.

Wes

Wes

Not correct.

Reply to
Ignoramus11212

your spouse.

Exceptions please?

Wes

Wes

your spouse.

Replace "committed" with "convicted of".

Reply to
Ignoramus11212

I did not see the diagram but I saw the airplane plans.

I'm assuming you built one. How much does yours weigh, how much do you weigh, how much fuel to you carry, ect. I want details. Feel free to post a separate thread in RCM, it would be on topic and a great read now that it is winter up here.

I downloaded the pdf's.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You wondered off into the wrong cave, dude.

The parasol plans are old news. I've moved on since then. But yes, I've built several of them. For details go to the Texas Parasol group at yahoo groups...

Reply to
cavelamb himself