AR15 evaluation

Just in case you guys missed it the fiorst time around...

Vaughn Bode - War Lizards

"Love them butterfly chips!"

cavelamb himself

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that cavelamb himself wrote on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:15:49 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Oh. Wow.

(Do I remember those, or am I have leaks from somebody else's flashbacks?)

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Try using a matte black paint on the top and rear surfaces of the blade.

This also helps with any set of "iron" sights since it provides better contrast than blued/parkerized finishes.

Old-time target shooters used to use a sooty-flamed lamp/candle to put a layer of "lamp black" on their sights for this very reason.

Reply to
Eregon

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Eregon wrote on 28 Nov 2008 03:48:09 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Thought something like that might have helped. And there I was, the one time I didn't have a sharpy on me...

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sharpies are a semi-gloss.

You want a matte (non-reflective) coat.

Chalkboard paint works well.

Soot from any source is an excellent choice since it can easily be wiped off after shooting and re-applied as needed without damaging the finish.

Reply to
Eregon

I have a couple of camphor sticks in the custom-made kit for my old Hi-Standard Supermatic. They produce great soot for sights. I wonder if Brownell's still sells them?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Eregon wrote on 28 Nov 2008 19:11:06 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Semi-gloss beats high gloss. "le shrug"

How about chalk? Have to rummage around.

But not something you want to try to apply while laying prone in a hayfield.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A standard Bic type disposable lighter (you as a survivalist do carry one, right?) will soot up sights pretty well. Simply put the sight into the orange part of the flame, at the tip of the flame front. It will soot up nicely, though much slower than the old carbide lamp and not as well.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Strike anywhere matches. But I'm revising my stash, what with where I live and now travel.