Simple Tutorials for my Son?

Howdy Folks,

My son has expressed some interest in doing CAD work, and I've been trying to dig up some simple tutorials to help him get started.

My version of AutoCad is a little older (version 12 for Windows), but it's legit, and I could afford it at the time. When it comes to the actual drawing, I figure it's not too far out of date.

Anyway, if anyone knows some simple drawing exercises posted somewhere, I'd appreciate a pointer. I've been working through the basics, of traversing the menus, and drawing lines, circles, etc. We started on dimensioning last night, and now I'm hoping to find a simple project or two that he can stab away at on his own.

TIA Steve

Reply to
Steve

Why not draw the table the computer is on? (Plans, sections, elevations)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

..after that, move on to a 3D model of it, then render it. I taught myself

3d by drawing my bathroom: shower curtain, toilet, faucet, sink stopper, venetian blinds, medicine cabinet full of bottles etc, all in 3d...
Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

FWIW, one thing to keep in mind is that some things ARE significantly different between R12 and current version. If he's going to use it to see if he has any interest fine, but if he's using it to learn AutoCAD I'd recommend getting something more up to date (even if it's AutoCAD LT).

Another option is to draw by hand. IMHO it's the best way to learn how things go together and how to THINK about what you're drawing. (Try pen on mylar if you want to cement the idea of thinking it through BEFORE drawing it).

As far as a career goes, I could teach a monkey how to use CAD, what is harder to find, and thus in high demand, is people who understand the "what", "why" and "how" of good drawings.

HTH,

Michael (LS)

Reply to
Michael (LS)

I learned from an excellent book called Inside AutoCad. The publisher was something like Rider Publishers. It is a step by step guide to learing cad drafting and there was specifically a version for Rel 12.

It was very clear with great illustrations and examples. I would start there. I can track down my copy for more details if necessary

PK Morris, P.E. Illinois

Reply to
PK Morris

I second Michael's recommendations. Learning how to use CAD isn't hard. Learning how to put together a drawing that actually shows what you intend to build is. The best CAD drafters often are those who learned to draw with pencil and paper, or as Michael indicates with ink and mylar -- mistakes are correctable, but not easily.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Try this:

Peter

and browse ebay, for like:

but don't make a monkey of the boy, find out WHAT YOU INTEND TO HAVE HIM DRAW.

there's electrical plans (lots of symbols), floor plans, 3d fire hydrants, surveys (bearings and distances and closure), 3d ductwork is cool.

art, even.

this afternoon I had to draw up my field notes of the foundation of a house which burnt. they want to see if they can reuse the foundation. I used an entirely different mind set to do that.

my son is the best draftsman I ever trained. part of it being native intelligence, but part of it being that his instructor had acutally USED THE PROGRAM. the kids I had to "retrain" (back when I too had a cubicle) with a degree from a local tech college were pathetic by comparison. they could have done better reading the darn manual.

Reply to
roy

Hi Again Everyone,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I found that just letting him go at it on his own was a great start, as he already loved drawing. He would come ask me a question or two, then head back to the computer and figure stuff out.

We _did_ find a great first project to work on as well, and started laying out our new fence in Autocad on the weekend. It's almost done, and I'm having him do as much of it as possible.

Thanks again. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Great idea....he's making money at it already!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich