Display / Freeze problem Quadro FX3500

I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that has an obvious answer, but this is the second day I've been struggling to get SW to perform correctly. I'm new to SW but not new to engineering / computers, etc. I've searched the NG for similar topics and have contacted my VAR. Still no solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SW2007 SP0.0

HP xw6400 Windows XP pro SP2 Single Xeon 5150 dual core

2 Gb RAM nVidia Quadro FX3500 driver 84.80 Viewsonic VA912b @1280 x 1024 NOD32 antivirus

From a fresh boot of the computer SW locks up when the initial working

screen comes up. I can see the menus, but I'm not able to open a part, menus, etc. It's just frozen.

After I shut down SW with Ctl-alt-delete I can restart SW and am able to access the menus, however, they show up as transparent until I move the mouse over the selections. Once I make a selection, the selection made remains as a screen artifact that persists no matter what is being displayed.

VAR suggested turning off Hyperthreading. 5150 doesn't hyperthread, but I checked that anyways. It's off. He also suggested using "Software OpenGL" in the SW option menu. That seemed to stir the pot initially, but didn't prove to be stable and it's back to doing the same thing whether "Software OpenGL" is on or not.

I've done a full reinstall of SW including deleting the registry keys and I've tried it with the earlier version of the graphics driver approved by SW (84.26). Still does the same things.

I've deleted NOD32 during installs to make sure it isn't interfering with anything and now I've just updated the driver to 91.36. I thought I'd solved the problem, but SW locked up when I tried to extrude something and after forcing it to quit I got a transparent menu and screen artifact on the control bar of the desktop...arrgh!

Am I missing some setting on the nVidia Desktop Manager? or is there some hidden conflict? When I first installed SW a couple months ago it seemed fine, but honestly I haven't had much time to work with it between then and now. I'm hoping there is a simple solution that I'm just not seeing.

Ironically I installed SW on my Mac Mini at home and it runs like a champ with nary a whimper..same for my old IBM T42 that I used before replacing it with a "better" machine. Go figure.

BTW the VAR did suggest subscribing so I could get the service packs because "SP0.0 has had hundreds of fixes to it since its initial release". I will have to eventually to be able to get a fully functional product, but it sure doesn't make me anxious to get on the bandwagon for the next release. I know, welcome to your world....

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Just roughly:

  1. I would make sure I try a virgin XP Pro SP2 Install on a partition, just to make sure XP Pro is "clean"

  1. Latest SP install of SolidWorks 2007 will get everything even steven for a test

At this point, you have a clean OS & clean SWks to start from.

Bo

comes up. I can see the menus, but I'm not able to open a part,

Reply to
Bo

Thanks, Bo

I was afraid someone might sugggest that. It's likely to work but I hate to have to go there...

In mulling through what has changed since the initial install, the most intrusive thing I can think of has been installation of Adobe Acrobat

  1. Are there any known conflicts?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Have you set your Nvidia performance settings to "Solidworks"?

Reply to
JKimmel

One of the other guys here is running the 3500. I wouldn't say it is flawless, but it works reasonably well. Another fellow is running the 1450 with similar results.

On the machine with the 3500, there doesn't appear to be any nVidia Desktop Manager. On the machine with the 1450, he had some problems with hangups (much less obnoxious than yours) until he disabled the nVidia Desktop Manager. One of the EEs also had problems (not SolidWork related) until he disabled the nVidia Desktop Manager. You might try killing it to see what happens.

Jerry Steiger

I've had the desktop manager set to "Solidworks" for the last few rounds and that hasn't seemed to make much difference. I may try killing the desktop manager if the latest round of reinstalls doesn't work.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Craig,

The latest approved driver for your card is 84.26

Once in awhile you'll stumble on a later driver that works good, but most often it's the other way around.

You can download it here

Mark

Reply to
MM

Using something like Symantec's "Ghost" for $70 to allow you to make an entire copy of a virgin Win XP Pro SP2 install so you can 'Ghost' up a new OS anytime you need it would help speed the reinstall process.

Thanks, Bo

Reply to
Bo

here

It looks like we've succeeded! Thanks for all the input.

The key appears to be to disable the nVidia Desktop Manager and also exit the nVidia controller in the system tray. I also switched back to driver 84.26 and did some clean installs, but didn't see any success until nVidia helpers were completely disabled. Sheesh!

With all the time it takes to keep these "labor saving" devices going, it's damm hard to get any real work done!

Thanks again & have a good weekend. Craig

Reply to
Craig

This may, or may not, be the case. Its my understanding that if you were entitled to receive a particular version of SW, then you also get all relevant service packs to that version, regardless of your subscription status. You have to go through your VAR to get them however.

Reply to
Brian

This may, or may not, be the case. Its my understanding that if you

That would be great if it's the case. I'll look into it.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig