3GB Switch error - missing hal.dll

Never needed the 3gb switch before and wanted to try it out today. Here's my boot.ini:

[operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2900

When I rebooted into the 3gb mode, I got the following error:

Error Message: Could not find \system32\hal.dll. File is either missing or corrupted.

I don't know a lot about the hardware abstraction layer except you don't mess with it. Has anyone come across this error before?

Thanks,

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

We saw that on 5 or computers a few right after we upgraded to 2007 we have been using the 3 GB switch for over a year and never had a problem before or since. We use the XP disks to repair them.

Cheers Dennis

Reply to
cadman800

Dennis - Thanks. I actually fixed it myself. If you look at my second line of the boot.ini it shows partition(2). I only have 1 partition on hard drive. I copy/pasted that line from Wayne T's article and testing. Pays to pay attention . . . I changed the partition to (1) and all is well in boot land.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

Good catch - I didn't see it right away either.

I have had the 3Gb switch running on this machine for about 1.5 years and I don't know that it's ever caused a problem, but many a time let me load big files. In fact right now I am loading a drawing that has pushed my Total Commit to 2,226,216, which is a ways past the limit without it. I have it as my default load.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany