SW and QuickBooks

This is a weird one, but I thought I would see if I could get some input on something I saw yesterday.

I am caught up with my design work at the moment and yesterday was wortking on a volunteer project I have taken on. I am the treasurer of a non-profit dog rescue group here in Sacramento. I bought QuickBooksPro2007 last year for doing our books. I am a novice user, but it is working well for me. I was in the middle of doing some bookkeeping yesterday when I got an e-mail from a customer asking me to translate a SW file for him that he couldn't open, so he could quote it. I just minimized QB and tried to open SW2007, sp5. (I also had Windows Explorer and OutlookExpress open at the time.) SW showed me the splash screen and then the computer gave a `thump' and that was it. SW didn't open and I was looking at my desktop. I have an AMD 3400+ with 2gb.

After closing all of the open programs, SW opened with no problem. Do I just not have enough memory to have both open at once? Thoughts anyone?? Thanks.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

The first thing I would do is try to repeat it with all the same programs loaded. More than likely you will find that you can't. I see my system occasionally not able to load SW, but then turn around and just do it the next time. Don't know why, though.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hello John,

I have the doubt that SW 2007 is a real memory hog. I recently had to handle a big assembly in SW 2007 SP 5. Every time I startet a PW rendering I got the message: "not enough memory, try to free some additional memory -> SW is now shuting down" no chance to save before sd. My PC has 4 GB RAM. My VAR gave the advice to set the 3 GB switch to adress more RAM to SW. I tried to render again with the active 3GB switch. It worked ok with the exception that some other applications refused to start with 3 GB switch set. I needed to get rendering job finished so I left 3GB switch on. I added some texture mappings, started rendering again and ended up with same error message and SW shutdown. From release to release SW wastes more memory and gets slower. All these " big assembly" and "lightweight features" are only fake tricks wich do not realy speed up but screw up your material db and part colors in configurations.

If you can add mor RAM, go to the max your pc is able to handle, and set a second boot configuration with 3 GB switch set. So you can easlily swap between both configs.

HTH good luck

Regards

Jojo

"John Kreutzberger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
JOJO

Give yourself the option to run the 3GB switch allocating less than the full

3GB (3072MB) to SW. You can try different levels till you find the one that works with your particular applications. The boot.ini below lets you choose between no switch, the full switch, and 64MB less than the full switch. [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB-3072" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=3072 /NoExecute=OptIn multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB-3008" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=3008 /NoExecute=OptIn multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Hi Jerry,

thanx for this valuable information. I will give it a try asap

regards

jojo

"Jerry Steiger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Reply to
JOJO

I have used QB, older version. It was tempermental. I would try to repeat the problem and report it. Your problem will be that niether QB nor SW will step up to the plate.

TOP

Reply to
TOP