XP sp2 and dongle's

Hi folks Does anyone else have a problem with the parallel dongle not being recognised under Win XP sp2? Solidworks came up as being blocked, so I unblocked that and it now pops up a window with "A problem was encountered accessing the proper security device. The device may be missing or have invalid information. The application will be terminated immediately". I'm assuming that I need to unblock whatever programme looks for the security dongle or something similar - any help gratefully received. Win XP sp2, Solidworks 2004 SP1

Thanks Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones

encountered

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

SolidWorks will support Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 as of SolidWorks

2004 SP5 and SolidWorks 2005 SP1. It is not recommended that you update to this W> Hi folks

encountered

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

SolidWorks sent out the following bulletin:

8/27/04 Bulletin - Support for Win XP Pro SP2

SolidWorks will support Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 as of SolidWorks

2004 SP5 and SolidWorks 2005 SP1. It is not recommended that you update to this Windows service pack until the indicated SolidWorks service packs.

So you should have not even installed XP SP2 YET!

Reply to
Jeff Parker

Hi Deri,

Running SolidWorks 2004 SP3 and Windows XP Pro SP2 with the dreaded dongle with no problems.

A long time back I did solve a dongle problem with changing the settings in the BIOS for the parallel port. Sorry I cant quite remember the details but it was something like changing Bi-directional to ECP+EPP.

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Miller

"Deri Jones" a écrit dans le message de news:cj98sk$hd8$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

Could help to uninstall / reinstall the hasp drivers:

Locate hinstall.exe ( here : C:\Program Files\SolidWorks

2004\setup\i386\hinstall.exe)

Run:

hinstall -r hinstall -i

Once I had the problem on one machine, identical to the others, and it solved it. I put it in a batch.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

SW doesn't need a dongle, at least no it the U.S. However, a lot of Solution Partner products do need a dongle. I am one of them. The fixes SW does in SP5 will not necessarily fix this problem. And what about those still using SW2003?

Hello,

I've got the same problem installing SolidWorks 2004 on Windows Xp Pro sp1. I didn't understand it was a problem of dongle, cause you don't need a dongle to run Solidworks.

So, what to do ? Is there a patch somewhere ?

Thanks.

Philippe from France.

Reply to
Frappafifi

"Frappafifi" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Vois ton revendeur.... Le dongle est nécessaire en france. Le patch est illégal, s'il existe.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

doesn't work, sorry :-( Did anyone ask a Soliworks hotline ? They must know the problem and have a solution, no ?

Philippe from France

Reply to
Frappafifi

Reply to
Deri Jones

"Frappafifi" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Will not work if no dongle is present

You should ask your VAR (revendeur)

Maybe get a legal copy?

Jean Marc

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

Thanks Jean Marc

Running hinstall.exe again doesn't work imediately, there is also a entry in the boot.ini file that needs turning off, otherwise the software can't see the HASP dongle. I have now got everything working again having followed the comments here:

Looks like the Vectorworks people are having fun as well. If you have a USB dongle, there are updated drivers at the Aladdin site:
I have the parallel dongle and simply using the existing hinstall version that came with Solidworks did the trick. Thanks again to everyone for the assistance, once I'm finished with this project, I'll get Solidworks up to date! Regards Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones

Reply to
Will Astill