Re: SW freezes and then text sticks to screen! Strange problem!

Each first time i start SW after turning the machine on it freezes and

> the only thing i can do is to kill it in Taskmanager. After that, the > first time i use a menu or rightclick in windows or any > program(picture 1), the thing in the menu i choose sticks to the > screen!!(picture 2) I can only remove it by either reboot og change > the resulution! If i just change the res. it comes again when i choose > something in a menu!

Based on your symptoms, my first guess is that something's up with the video drivers. Assuming they're a version certified by SolidWorks, the first thing I'd try would be to remove them completely and then reinstall them.

After that, I'm not sure where I'd go. Calling the VAR might pay off.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Also try the "Use software OpenGL only switch" in Tools/Options/System Options to determine whether it's the graphics card

Regards

mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

I've been getting exactly the same problem in 2006 and now 2007. I've discussed it at length with my VAR, including sending Solidworks Rx files to them, tried different video drivers etc and got nowhere.

My pc is supposedly the same spec as 2/3 others here (Dell Precision 380), but I'm the only one to get this specific problem.

If you find a solution, please post it, as it drives me nuts!

John H

Reply to
John H

Found a solution that works for me! havent seen the bug since:

1) Disable your screensaver if you have one 2) Disable Nvidia Nview Assistent

Reboot

vola :)

Reply to
berq

Dooh forget what i wrote! The bug came again this morning :(

Reply to
berq

"berq" wrote

Yeah, I've had a few false dawns like that too!

John H

Reply to
John H

Well i found a workaround regarding the sticky menutext, which i think is the most anoying part:

Right click on desktop/appearance/effects and instead of menu "Fade effect" i choosed "Scroll effect". After that the menus never stays on screen.(rebooted several times now and it still works)

SW still only crash the first time, but dont know why because sometimes its right after i started it and then sometimes a can work on several parts before its crashes!?

Reply to
berq

I've had exactly the same issue from the time I purchased SW07 sp0. It happens on two very different computers. My workstation with xeon dual core, FX3500 and lots of ram. Also on my home computer IBM T42 laptop. The workstation is now on SP4.0 while the laptop remains on

0.0. SW has been working to diagnose and I had one of their techs in my office for 3 hours trying various things on both machines. He was as mystified as I have been. I've tried killing nVidia desk manager, etc. but no solutions yet. Every now and then you think you have it solved only to have SW crash again after 15 minutes or so of working. It crashes on very simple stuff. It is now being addressed by SW corp. & I am receiving regular messages to try this and that. If we come up with a solution, I'll make sure to post it to the group. Thanks for the workaround suggestion. I've just been right clicking on the taskbar and choosing "properties" after killing SW so that the text artifact is in an out of the way place. Still drives me nuts.
Reply to
Craig