Hotkey crash problem, please help

Ive had this problem since 2001Plus, we are currently using 2003, and will be upgrading to 2004 in a month or so.

Whenever I assign a key to a command under the hotkeys, then go back to it and try to delete it, SolidWorks crashes. This also happen in

2001Plus for me. Ive tried reinstalling SolidWorks (cleaning registry out also), never helped. Ive tried deleting the .CUS file and creating a new one, didnt help. The ITS dept here says I have ADMIN rights, so permissions shouldnt be a problem if something is written to the registry. Funny thing is, this problem is on 5 other computers here, but 1 guy doesnt have this problem on his computer. Ive contacted my VAR and they contacted SolidWorks about it. They have been very helpful, but nobody knows what to do next.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I know I can set all my hotkeys at once and forget about them, but this doesnt allow me to go back and delete a hotkey I dont like. I would have to delete the .cus file, then redo all the hotkeys, plus the new ones I want to change. VERY time consuming.

Please help...

Reply to
SW Monkey

Nobody has any comments/suggestions?

Reply to
SW Monkey

I hadn't replied because I didn't have any good answers. I have never had that problem, which would lead me to think that it's on your end. (surprise, surprise) The fact that 5 others also have the issue there could be explained by the same person doing the installing - either of SolidWorks or other software.

Are there any addins that the one person doesn't have running? Different software like Excel, etc. on his? Different video card? Different video driver? Is there any difference in the Windows/network login of the one person?

Finding nothing there, I think I would uninstall all SW related stuff (old versions & new) on the drive & in the registry & reinstall. Look for all instances of SolidWorks, sldworks, sldprt, slddrw, sldasm, etc.

My best thoughts for now....

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Sorry I do not know much about SolidWorks. First, try to see what is different on the one machine that works verses all other 5 or 6. OS versions, Windows Updates (critical and other like DirectX, Vector Graphics, etc.), network clients, SolidWorks Service Pack versions on each machine. Secondly, check Network and Video Cards and drivers on each machine and compare them. If the cards are the same , make sure the drivers are the same. Lastly, it could just be a parcular bug that you might not ever find. We have had our share of those. Try running in safe mode or in selective startup and see if you can duplicate. You can visit the website and email me if you want me to see if I can assist any further. Thank you.

- snipped-for-privacy@myhelpdesk.org

Free Computer Help by email

Reply to
myhelpdesk.org

make sure that you have write access to the file and folder that the *.cus is in. RMB on it in Win Explorer and go to properties, make sure that the Read Only box is cleared.

Do you sign on as a domain user or a local machine acc't? Try to sign on using a local acc't and see if that changes anything. Add another new local user with admin rights and sign on as that user and see if anything changes (checking for corrupt user profile).

Short of that, it might be an installation problem. I know you said you cleared the registry, but if you install with anti-virus on, you could just be recreating the problem again.

good luck

matt

snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com (SW Monkey) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

I'm an Ol' Cadkey user, So I came from the mindset in which my keyboard was ALL Hotkeys. Now on SOlidworks, I did customize my keyboard, I have had lots of problems with unstable files, and lots of 'unhandling errors/crashes' when dealing with notes and balloons (which I have assigned to Hotkeys. Do you believe that HotKeys could be the cause?

What do you think??

Reply to
wentz

Reply to