04 sp1.0 - can't assign hotkey

Here's a wierd one: I just installed SP1.0, and the hotkey (ctrl-F) for one of my most used macros has stopped working. I deleted the hotkey assignment, but when I tried to reassign it, SW tells me that ctrl-F is already used (but doesn't tell me where). I searched through all the possible hotkey assignments (manually of course. Argh!), but there is no other ctrl-F hotkey. I can assign it to another hotkey, but I don't want to re-train myself if I don't have to.

Any theories as to what might cause this, and how to fix it?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

A possible work around is to assign it to a Button and then assign the hotkey from the button dialoge (I have done this in earlier versions and it gave me that error something like 20 times(I only assigned it once thought) before letting me do anything else, then for some reason it worked anyway. Other wise what does it do when you hit ctrl-F. Is it possible that your macro is already assigned, maybe one of the other functions of your macro got flipped in there instead of your main function.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Could it be since F is the Windows standard key for "Find" that there is a conflict there? However, if it used to work, it doesn't make much sense. I just tried to assign it and got the same message. Interesting. I can't get F to do anything at all.

As it stands, I use it as a hotkey for "View features" in the tree vs. "View Dependencies." I just tried it and it doesn't work any more - don't like that - we have to figure this one out!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Someone please look for this in SP0 to see if it was an issue then, and maybe just a change in SP1.0..

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Reply to
John

Nice to know I'm not alone. Time to pester the VAR.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

"Corey Scheich" wrote in news:boqrta$1h7a2o$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-200385.news.uni-berlin.de:

Wow. That is really messed up. I never got it to let me assign much of anything to the button.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Why does everyone insist on using Alt-? and Control-? for hotkeys in SolidWorks. Why not just use F and D for "show features" and "show dependencies". Unless you have already run out of keys to use...

Doug S.

Reply to
Doug S.

Those 2 specifically are F - Zoom to Fit, and D - Measure (Determine)(would have used M, but it's used for Mate). That's usually the case - Alt & Ctrl key combinations are less likely to be used already.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I ran out of hotkeys almost immediately. I came from ACAD and MDT, and I still miss the command aliases. One or two keys and smack the space bar was all it ever took. I don't care for all the ctrl-alt-shift-etc. contortionism of windows-style hotkeys. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

AMEN! My VAR thinks I am alone in liking the old two keys and spacebar setup. Dosen't somebody have a macro or something out there to simulate this? Two keys rule! CTRL or ALT cominations are illogical (unless you have an extra thumb growing out the side of your hand).

Reply to
Mike Z.

Have you guys used the 2D emulator add in. It basicly mimmics the AutoCrud command prompt. I don't know what you can do as far as custom definitions but line and such work.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I took a look at it when I first picked up SW99. I discarded it as useless. I seem to recall that there was no support for aliases (had to type entire command name), and a very limited set of available commands. That was my last stop before giving up and learning to work with SW the way it actually exists. I get along all right with hotkeys, I just don't think they're optimal from a UI perspective. Especially if you can type as well as any 8-

10 hour /day PC user should. Come to think of it, Acad is the main reason I type aswel asI do.
Reply to
Dale Dunn

There are shortend versions in there ext = Extrude L=Line Don't know if they are documented. I somewhat agree that in my years with AutoCad you sure do get used to typing commands. I still type ZE which was my shortened Zoom>Extents. Always have to turn of selection manager when i Zoom to fit. because select edge is assigned to E. I was able to mostly adapt to SW though, the advantage of starting with computers when you are a young whipper-snapper. Maybe a custom app is in order, customizable to whatever 2 letter and spacebar combination. maybe assign it to C so pressing c boots it up and the next letter specifies the command and the space executes it.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

That reminds me of a friend I had back around the Acad R11-12 days who would sometimes type "dir" to zoom and "z e" to get a directory listing.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

The bottom line is there were two advantages:

  1. the comands were completely customizeable. The solidworks emulator is a useless marketing tool to satisfy users of autocad. If only you could customize it.
  2. two letter commands let you remember the commands. M for move and ALT+M for mirror is silly, you need MO and MI. The combo hotkeys remind me of CrapKey.
Reply to
MZ