Removing a surface region

Hi Is it possible to remove a surface region in pro/m? Thanks Konrad

Reply to
KA

Yes. There is a group of features only visible in Pro/M, unfortunately I don't recall the name of that group. Any geometry and surface regions defined in the mechanica environment can be found there.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Thanks Dave. That's Simulation Features and I didn't have a right-click menu over my Surface Regions. After an investigation I found that it was a family table instance, and the regions were set up in the Generic.

Konrad

Reply to
KA

Interesting, thanks for the info. I would have tripped over that too.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman

One more interesting info: Material assignments in parts were meant to be detected and used in assembly pro/m. Meshing goes good, but sometimes solver gets problems with stability of the structure. I got "the model is insufficiently constrained for the analysis" error many times- and it was kinda hard to trace. It took me ages to discover this bug. Now I alway assign material at assembly level. Konrad

Reply to
KA

One more interesting info: Material assignments in parts were meant to be detected and used in assembly pro/m. Meshing goes good, but sometimes solver gets problems with stability of the structure. I got "the model is insufficiently constrained for the analysis" error many times- and it was kinda hard to trace. It took me ages to discover this bug. Now I alway assign material at assembly level. Konrad

But then does the material assignment show up in Pro/e for model analysis?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Normally, when an assembly's part has its material assigned in part only- you don't see the assignment icon on screen. The whole assembly gets meshed. It wouldn't mesh if it didn't have the material. And it gets calculated by the solver- but sometimes with error. If you assign the material in the assembly- you have the yellow material icon attached to the part. Konrad

Reply to
KA

"KA" wrote in message news:eut22g$pca$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl... David Janes wrote: > > "KA" wrote in message > news:euqqdd$gak$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl... > snipped-for-privacy@yahooooooo.com wrote: > > On Apr 2, 6:55 am, KA wrote: > >> David Geesaman wrote: > >>> KA wrote: > >>>> Hi > >>>> Is it possible to remove a surface region in pro/m? Thanks > >>>> Konrad > >>> Yes. There is a group of features only visible in Pro/M, > unfortunately > >>> I don't recall the name of that group. Any geometry and > surface regions > >>> defined in the mechanica environment can be found there. > >> Thanks Dave. That's Simulation Features and I didn't have a > right-click > >> menu over my Surface Regions. After an investigation I found > that it was > >> a family table instance, and the regions were set up in the Generic. > >>

Normally, when an assembly's part has its material assigned in part only- you don't see the assignment icon on screen. The whole assembly gets meshed. It wouldn't mesh if it didn't have the material. And it gets calculated by the solver- but sometimes with error. If you assign the material in the assembly- you have the yellow material icon attached to the part. Konrad Sounds like the necessary and superior way to deal with material assignment for Pro/M. Historically, (don't know if it continued into the WF product) Pro/M and Pro/e came with separate and completely different material files. I always assumed that Pro/M's were the most official and reliable; Pro/e's seemed more like a do-it-yourself project as they were distributed in dozens of individual, customizable ASCII files. No one who used the Pro/e material files ever assumed they were correct; you always has to check them and they were often wrong by several decimal places, especially after they'd been around for a while and units had been changed back and forth a few times or the files had been manually edited without record. So, even to get a complete and accurate set of material files to use in Pro/e, I've taken to exporting Pro/M materials to Pro/e while in the system of units of choice. But, maybe this is unnecessary. Maybe the material definition "sticks" from Pro/M to Pro/e and I don't need to give it ANOTHER material assignment for Pro/e!?! Would be nice, anyway, if Pro/M's material assignment carried over into Pro/e.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Thank you Dave for the historical trait. The new philosophy is one material assignment for pro/e (mass, bend table etc) pro/m (young modulus, poisson's ratio etc), rendering (colours, decals etc). I would be happier to have possibility to enter Young modulus as a function of temperature, because I have now materials like "316L_forging_300F", "316L_forging_400F", 316L_forging_500F" and so on. Physically few grades, but in the end of the day it makes hundreds of material files. Konrad

PS for the issue of material not assigned in the analysed assembly in pro/m: sometimes it gives also "internal error" message without any closer explanation.

Reply to
KA

"KA" wrote in message news:euvj6b$il9$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl... David Janes wrote: > > "KA" wrote in message > news:eut22g$pca$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl... > David Janes wrote: > >

Thank you Dave for the historical trait. The new philosophy is one material assignment for pro/e (mass, bend table etc) pro/m (young modulus, poisson's ratio etc), rendering (colours, decals etc). I would be happier to have possibility to enter Young modulus as a function of temperature, because I have now materials like "316L_forging_300F", "316L_forging_400F", 316L_forging_500F" and so on. Physically few grades, but in the end of the day it makes hundreds of material files. Konrad

PS for the issue of material not assigned in the analysed assembly in pro/m: sometimes it gives also "internal error" message without any closer explanation.

Don't know whether Pro/e-Pro/M will solve this problem of many material states (seems like a table ought to apply here). But I've heard that WF3 has at least unfied the material source files of the two modules. Hopefully your customizations can be imported into the database.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

where,s the family table ..pls. say.