How to make the Em dash character in notes, parameters

An Em dash is a dash the width of the Em quad. If it sounded like this was going to be a "How to" tutorial, I apologize. I don't know how and some military supply, logistics or provisioning database (NSN?, not sure) says I need to separate fields with this character in drawing titles. The solution would have to be applicable to parameters, as well, since that's where the text is established.
If Pro/e were a Windows program, this would be simple. I'd just type Alt-0151 and the Em dash would appear in the text. Try this in Pro/e and you'll get an "Illegal character" error message which also says the character was replaced with a "?"
Much of the problem is that Pro/e has its own proprietary fonting system, comprised of a font.ndx file which lists a bunch of font files that the default_font option lists. The fonts referenced in that .ndx file are compiled from ascii.src, special.src, latin.src ~ a set of editable source file contained in the <loadpoint>\text\usascii directory. Actually, both the .NDX and .SRC files are stored there. I'm not a hundred percent sure what the .src files are but it looks like they combine font mapping with drawing commands, fonts strokes, a kind of hint map.
This is outlined in the "Installation and Administraton Guide" (Pro/e 'Help>Help Center', 'Other modules' under Functional Area and '-Installation Guide' under Modules and Books, pp.162-170). I tried editing the ascii, latin and special fonts, to no effect. Compiling of the edited .src file is done with compile_font and decompile_font stored in the <loadpoint>\i486_nt\obj directory. (decompile_font gets you a source file).
Anyone successfully added a character to a font? At this point, any experience is worth sharing! Anyone know, short of modifying a font, how to place an Em dash in notes or parameters?
David Janes
<DIV>An Em dash is a dash the width of the Em quad. If it sounded like this was going to be a "How to" tutorial, I apologize. I don't know how and some military supply, logistics or provisioning database (NSN?, not sure) says I need to&nbsp;separate fields with this character&nbsp;in drawing titles. The solution would have to be applicable to parameters, as well, since that's where the text is established.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>If Pro/e were a Windows program, this would be simple. I'd just type Alt-0151 and the Em dash would appear in the text. Try this in Pro/e and you'll get an "Illegal character" error message which also says the character was replaced with a "?"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Much of the problem is that Pro/e has its own proprietary fonting system, comprised of a font.ndx file which lists a bunch of font files that the default_font option lists. The fonts referenced in that .ndx file are compiled from ascii.src, special.src, latin.src ~ a set of editable source file contained in the &lt;loadpoint&gt;\text\usascii directory. Actually, both the .NDX and .SRC files are stored there. I'm not a hundred percent sure what the .src files are but it looks like they combine font mapping with drawing commands, fonts strokes, a kind of hint map.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>This is outlined in the "Installation and Administraton Guide" (Pro/e 'Help&gt;Help Center', 'Other modules' under Functional Area and '-Installation Guide' under Modules and Books, pp.162-170). I tried editing the ascii, latin and special fonts, to no effect. Compiling of the edited .src file is done with compile_font and decompile_font stored in the &lt;loadpoint&gt;\i486_nt\obj directory. (decompile_font gets you a source file).</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Anyone successfully added a character to a font? At this point, any experience is worth sharing! Anyone know, short of modifying a font, how to place an Em dash in notes or parameters?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>I have a brief update on this, possible victory: it seems that the Special font (Special.src/Special.fnt [compiled vers]) is the basis for the 35-character Text Symbols palette. These characters are available from the keyboard by typing ^A{keyboard character}^B. One of the keyboard characters is not represented in the palette, the Dash character. But, interestingly enough, ^A-^B makes something akin to the Em Dash. Editing the Special.src file to make the character space wider (35)&nbsp;and the drawing command to almost fill the space. So, this is the actual source file entry:</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> <P>"-"</P> <P>width 35</P> <P>m 3, 20</P> <P>d&nbsp;32,20</P> <P><FONT size=3>These appear to approximate x/y coordinates and relative vectors. Compiled with compile_font, this produces a pretty fair rep of an Em Dash. Not too long, not too short, just right!!</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3>David Janes</FONT></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=