Train set builder

I have Mindscape's Train Set Builder and have had to reload it and now cannot get the catalogue system to work correctly. Reports that web page could not be found.

Mindscape do not reply to any emails and I do not know where to find the author to seek help.

It does not appear that it is possible to export any of my creations either:-((

Has anyone any clues?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

Have you considered wiping the existing program from your hard-drive before reloading it?

Regards, Greg,P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yep

Clean install of XP.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

That suggests it is not XP-compatible.

Reply to
Brian Watson

The OP suggests to me that it was working before he had to re-install it. He doesn't say he's changed the OS.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Considering the error :- cannot get the catalogue system to work correctly. Reports that web page could not be found

Suggests either the port number not happy - did you upgrade ie, add security software etc...

Alternately the address bar should show the local file and path that its using to access catalog. Presumably it isnt there, try a file search and if you find it then either :- change the address to the correct location or create the missing directory and copy catalog and associated files and directories.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

It will not run from the CD either the left hand side just reports that webpage cannot be found could not find on the CD.

I have used this program on XP and generated lots of layouts for my own tracks and also our groups layout it is not a good program anyway as the Peco information is incorrect eg. no flexitrack on code 100.

I do not know what the file name is that it cannot find.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

Doesnt the URL show the path and name of the file ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Has XP been auto-updated on your PC recently, adding Internet Explorer 7 for example?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Did it originally run from the CD?

- Yes? then either the CD is damaged or settings are wrong/corrupted in your computer.

- No? then the problem is in your computer settings somewhere.

- Don't know? Possibly it's not intended to run without installation to hard drive, or computer settings are corrupted.

A trend is developing!

Hold the CD up near the light and look for scratches or goobies on the shiney side.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

There should be a listing on the panel on the left hand side that shows all the catalogues available. When you select a manufacturer eg. peco your have to then select the code. Also there are demos and items to put on the layout stations, trees etc.

All it shows is a panel that says the web page cannot be displayed now I have no idea why it needs a web page when it should be a table.

The disc is clean and no scratches and have tried a few times to reinstall.

I can load the files created but cannot modify them as the SW has not been upgraded for years it looks like it is dead would not advise anyone to get it anyway.

Have kept computer up to date with patches.

Thanks for suggestions

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

A browser can be used to look at local files as well as remote sites. The local file can contain a table with selectable fields that point to other files. Lots of help systems are written in HTML and work in this way.

So instead of http::

\\somewhere\inhere\wonderfulproducts\numer500001 get a path that shows something like c:\programfiles\myprogram\help\files\acatalog.htm

If you can load but not modify then either you are loading them from the CD which is read only (CD-ROM read only memory). If you are loading them from disk then they may be owned and writable by the user that installed the software eg administrator but for any other user they are read only. If you write click on a file and select properties then it shows if its writable and who the owner is.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Before reloading/reinstalling any program that runs on Windows NT/2000/XP, it is essential to clean _all_ references to it from the registry. This will require the first and usually all of the following steps:

a) Uninstall the program a1) use the programs' uninstall module if available: Usually accessed via Start --> Programname --> Uninstall Programname a2) use the Add/Remove Programs panel found in Control Panel (this is in different locations on NT/2000/XP)

b) Restart the computer, find the program's original folder, and delete it. You may have to burrow down into it and delete sub-folders and files first. You may not be able to complete this step until after you've done the next two steps, but delete as much as you can now.

c) Restart the computer and use a registry cleaning utility.

d) Restart the computer, and use regedit to find and remove all keys referring to the program. (Caution: you should get an expert to do it, and teach you how to do it.)

Others suggest a clean install of XP. This will do the same as the above four steps, but will do it for all programs not included with XP, so you will have to reinstall those afterwards. That might be a good thing, anyhow.

BTW, if you ever want to uninstall a program permanently, do all of the above four steps.

Unsolicited advice:

1) Keep your anti-virus and related software up to date --> pay the yearly fees! 2) Update the OS regularly. 3) Clean up your hard drive at regular intervals, and defragment it. If you download a lot of stuff, and then delete or move it (including e-mails), you should do this at least every other week, otherwise once a month is OK. 4) Run the registry cleaner about once a month, especially if you move stuff around on your computer.

Doing the above will keep your machine running sweetly, and will also reduce the odds that you will need to reinstall a program.

IMO, MS implementation of the Registry is abysmally awful. There is no technical reason whatsoever that uninstalling a program should not remove all references to it, and leave a clean Registry. Nor is there any technical reason why uninstalling a program should not remove all its component files and folders. In fact, there is no technical reason why Deleting a program folder shouldn't uninstall it completely (after you've confirmed that's what you really want to do.) So why isn't Windows written to enable all these simple housekeeping task? Because to do so would mean decoupling applications and utilities such such as Explorer and Outlook from the operating system. MS refuses to do this, since it would make it possible to eliminate all MS applications and utilities from a Windows machine, something that MS just doesn't want you to do. I will not offend anyone's delicate sensibilities by expressing my outrage at their arrogance.

HTH

-- Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Reply to
Wolf

I asked for help recently on running Train set builder and no catalogues showing in the pane on the left hand side.

Thank you to those that offered assistance I have found the cause it is another user unfriendly aspect from MS Vista.

I had a problem with Paragon drive backup I am the administrator and the only one on the computer it would not let me run as I did not have Administrative Privileges!!

On a MS web site I found a comment that enabled me to run the SW by actually telling in properties.compatibility to 'run as administrator'.

I then tried that on Train set builder and the catalogues are their.

Why does not Vista default to allow anyone to run until told otherwise a stupid system!!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

Whilst can sympathise with your experience, making default allow minimum privelidges results in a more stable and secure OS. Problem is MS have been increasing security and its up to apps to give instructions on installation to allow for all users. MS shouold have built security into the OS right from the start. So a well behaved app may require admin for install it shouldnt for running and you should not run with admin privilidges on a normal session.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Hey Simon, as you're the resident expert here, can you tell me why my messages to this NG get stuck in the OE outbox until I hit "send all"? It only started after a recent XP upgrade which included IE7, never had the problem before. TIA.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Thats very kind of you to say so, but must be modest and remember in the kingdom of the blind ....

I did, but you must have missed it, anyway here it is again ..

Have you looked at the Tools/option/send menu settings ? Theres a box that says send immediately.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Yes, sorry about that. I posted the question before but neither it nor any reply is being displayed in my newsreader. I should have double checked with Google Groups.

Yes it's ticked.

Also when I first open Outlook Express, it tells me there's no connection available - which is rubbish - and asks me if I want to go online. I've cleared history and deleted temporary files as suggested by MS to no avail.

Every setting in Outlook Express is exactly the same as it was before the problem began, that is, before XP was updated. This is why I delayed upgrading to SP2 for as long as possible.

I don't know if this is relevant but there is a "local area connection 2" showing in my network places which I don't remember being there before and the PC takes longer to boot-up than it used to. There is no "local area connection 1" as I don't use a LAN of any kind, never have. If I disable local area connection 2" I'm not able to connect to my modem.

Everything else works normally, web browsing, downloading, binary newsreader, although some websites look peculiar since IE7 was installed.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

OK, sggests outlook is trying to be clever instead of relying on IE to do that. have a look at options/tool/connection. You want to make sure outlook is dumb by click change settings in the bottom bit (where says outlook shares ...). remove any connections shown in the big box. select lan settings and make sure none of the boxes there are checked - esp autodetect.

Dont worry about MS's terms like LAN or local connection 2. Often means there was a one but its been replaced by 2 for some reason - poss sp2's way of confusing things, mine is the same. That could be the reason outlook express is trying to detect a connection. IMHO microsoft have never ever been any good at networking.

Will have a think of any other ideas.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

It was showing "autodetect" and I've now unchecked it but it hasn't made any difference.

(kim)

Reply to
kim