New UK Model Railway Magazine

Just had a subs club newsletter from Ian Allen who indicate that they are launching a new magazine with the title HORNBY magazine, endorsed by Hornby, price £3.35. I wonder if it will be as good as their last model railway modellers magazine Model Railway Constructor. Out on March 9th.

Aimed at the beginner looking at the blurb and only doing layouts up to the start of 1970's with occasional forays beyond the 70's.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sounds like a sensible spread of modelling eras!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Chris" wrote

It's been rumoured that Ian Allen have been contemplating a return to the model railway scene, and whilst I can understand why they have chosen the 'Hornby' name, it does suggest that it could be even more sycophantic towards that company than the rest of the already pretty much uncritical model press.

It also seems very odd to restrict their timescale to the pre-1970 era - that effectively eliminate any interest from the largest growing sector of the model railway market. Big mistake in my opinion.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Unless they are trying to avoid the modern image that is already out there, that or for Hornby the post 1970 stuff is selling plenty well enough and they wish to highlight there earlier lines.

Reply to
estarriol

I don't have John's insight but I suspect there's a big dip in demand for models representing the years between 1967 and the present day so any pages covering that particular period would be preaching to a largely empty church.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I of course meant, modern image magazine!

Reply to
estarriol

"kim" wrote

I wouldn't say that is the case Kim, in fact quite the opposite. The BR blue & subsequent eras would account for at least 50% of the model railway sales in my shop.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Think its a good idea to limit the scope as you suggest modern image is already covered. Too often can get to the end of other 3 mags and think very interesting but nothing of direct interest. admittedly some contributors (like nigel Burkin and pat hammond) can write about anything and its worth reading.

If it is aimed at beginners then hope does better than lates model rail soldering for beginners - does anyone else think its not a good idea for ham fisted starters to use a blow torch in the average modellers den ? Wonder if the next skill level advises arc welding ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Most beginners in the hobby seem to be at the younger end of the age spectrum and are mostly into the diesel scene. Seems odd to me that the new magazine should therefore restrict themselves to a much earlier period.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As would I be if I were younger but only stuff I can see on the network today, not those hideous monstrosities which ran between 1968 and 1998.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in As would I be if I were younger but only stuff I can see on the network today, not those hideous monstrosities which ran between 1968 and 1998.

(kim)

And What would they be ??

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Old fogies like myself prefer the steam age as it not only looked and felt exciting but it took real skill and effort to make 1500 horses do very much the same job as 4000 does today. Also , travelling from Plymouth to anywhere in Scotland did not result in a numb bum and DVT through lack of legroom even if you did starve in the process.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Quote from

The "Hornby Magazine is not a biased publication only promoting one brand!"

And they are also aiming at people in the 40's+ returning to the hobby, see web site above, so I guess that may be choice of eras to cover and they maybe thinking of Thomas the tank engine for the younger readers :) which features trains from same eras.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chris wrote in news:3oSdnW4oe7 snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

So why on earth call it Hornby Magazine then?

And if you really must call it Hornby Magazine, shouldn't it be Hornby(r)?

David

Reply to
David Jackman

Almost everything painted in corporate BR livery.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Given some thought as to why someone may wish to avoid younger beginners and those interested in diesel.

Younger modellers tend to be introduced by parernt or relative who will help. They cant read. Its a quality magazine. They prefer the internet. Short attention span. Want it to be a clean mag - no dirty d....s All look the same. Not exactly classy class names - class 86 vs Princess Coronation. even the nicknames - thumpers vs Lizzies. Already a magazine devoted to the time period.

Of course I dont hold with all these ideas.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I guess it is following in the tradition of Airfix Magazine and Meccano Magazine. I'm too young to have known the latter, but I did used to buy Airfix Mag. I seem to remember it was predominantly about Airfix products, but had a reasonably independent attitude and wasn't merely propaganda for the parent company.

Andy

Reply to
andrewj.kirkham

Meccano Magazine was very good. Obviously most articles were about how/what to build with Meccano but lots of articles on basic mechanics. One that sticks in my mind is the Chinese Mechanical "Compass", a two-wheeled cart bearing a needle or pointer that always pointed in the same direction regardless of the direction of travel and movement of the cart. And the adverts - the "Dermic Oiler", Charles Atlas adverts, the HAC (Hear All Continents) shortwave radio receiver with variously coloured Denco plug-in coils. Oh my word, I feel terribly old!

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Almost everything painted in corporate BR livery.

(kim)

Though so... What changed in 1998 ?? Some of what started in 1968 only finished running last year ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

So that's why they now paint 30/40 year old stock pretty colours, is it?

Reply to
jasper_goat