Model engine magazine

I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there is a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine
builder." Anyone know anything about this?

It is Model Engine Builder, and the second issue is already out. Fantastic magazine, in a very similar style to Strictly IC.
Website can be found at http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/

Really? I was thinking about ordering it. But last time I checked, nothing changed on their website. I had the impression that they are gone before they started. Didn't want to make a blind order, because their shipping to Germany is not the cheapest.
Just rechecked the website. No changes since several months, no content of the last isues. Well, if they spend the time for the mag it's OK ...
And are the plans metric? <d&g>
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de>

Nah, they don't use that lousy system. We're civilized here in the States. <g>
It's done in inches and decimals. And very well, in fact.
I can't help but think anyone that likes to build things wouldn't enjoy the magazine. It comes well printed, with all prints B size (11" x 17"), folded, but not fastened to the magazine. You don't have to dismantle the magazine to access them for shop use. The nice thing is there's a lot of them.
I highly recommend the magazine. The second issue has all the prints included to build the Morton M5, a rotary 5 cylinder engine for those that aren't up to speed.
Usual disclaimers apply. I am not affiliated with the magazine in any way, just a pleased subscriber.
Harold

OK, so I have a birthday present for me. :-)
BTW: 3 (?) years ago, I ordered all the MBSR's that were recommended here. And I wasn't dissapointed at all. Reminds me to check for MBSR#4
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de>
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:29:47 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Mller) wrote:

Hey Nick,
Write directly to him ansd ask
I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?
For the next issue the Morton M1 will be published and the issue after that the Morton M2. I must say that dealing with the Magazine's publisher, Mike Rehmus, has been a complete pleasure - what a class act!
Robert Sigler

I'm in the middle of building a house (the house from hell, from all indications) and am spread pretty thin right now, so all I've done is take a casual glance. I'll try to get to them tonight and give you a better report.
Harold

that
Mike
Siggy,
After looking at the drawings, I'd say you've done an excellent job. The only question I'd have now is if the information is complete, and does it work together. Things like that are usually found only when you're building a project, when what appears to be correct, isn't. If you've handled that issue, you've done an outstanding job. The prints have some designations with which I'm not familiar, but I've been away from the shop since '83, and many things are changed, so I attribute that to my not being up to speed these days. It's hell getting old! <g>
Harold

that
Mike
Thought you might enjoy reading some very nice comments on your drawings. Please follow this link.
http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=icengines&Numberp031 &Mainp031#Post70031
Well done, Siggy!
Harold
Wow! Thanks for sending this link. It was a huge amount of work but comments like this make it all worthwhile!
Robert

My pleasure!
Keep up the beautiful work!
Harold

I haven't seen the plans yet*) But what I'd like to know how many hours you spent on it.
*) Got my 55$ yesterday, will send ca$h because it's much easier than registering PayPal and all that crap. My order will go out today.
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de>
Not really sure how many hours I spent on them but if you include the time to build the 3D solid CAD model, do the 2D drawings, the renderings and the many, many review cycles it was definitely well over 100 hours. Probably over 200.
Robert

    --Siggy you can come visit my shop any time! Beautiful drawings..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...
| ---- snip ---- | > And are the plans metric? | > <d&g> | | Nah, they don't use that lousy system. We're civilized here in the States. | <g> ---- snip ---- | Harold
Now I know this off-hand comment was made in good humour, so I make my comment in the same atmosphere of good humour and without malice of intent. It always amuses me when our good neighbours to the south (yes, I too live in the land of metric) make an off hand comment about the metric system, especially if they imply the "States" has no use for it. The reason I find it amusing is that they will frequently malign us for having recently (<40 years) accepted the metric system of measure.
Little known US history fact:
Standard of Length: -- In 1866, the United States, by act of Congress, passed a law making the meter, the only measure of length that has been legalized by the United States Government.
Cool
Shawn

Yet the bureau of standards has a platinum bar that isn't metric. <g>
Yeah, my comments are tongue in cheek. I realize the metric system is far and away simpler, yet when you've grown up with the inch system, it's not all that easy to convert. It's also not easy to relate to sizes. I always convert (mentally) to something I know. I relate the meter to a yard, and the millimeters to 35 MM film. Helps me put size in perspective.
Many of us have heavily invested in measuring tools and machine tools that aren't the least metric friendly, myself included. I'm so comfortable with the inch system that it's a huge PITA to do anything metric. When I do, I always convert to the decimal system (in inches) which makes far more sense to me. Armed with that, you can clearly see that I, too, use the metric system after a fashion (base ten, anyway).
Harold

far
I was raised in the Imperial system in Canada. Moved to Australia just in time to get caught up in the change to the metric system. Just got my head around it comfortaby,and got transfered to the Fiji Islands which was still Imperial measurements. About 2 years into my tour of duty, they changed to the metric system. Spent the last twenty five years back in Australia in the metric system. Now that I've retired, I work as a volenteer restorer in a science and technology museum, and yes, most of the stuff I work on is 80 years old and is all Imperail measurement.
I just wish they'd make up their bloody minds
Tom
I always

and
Easy ! 25 mm is the width of your thumb. A litre is about an American quart( Not an Imperial quart) All engineering measurements are done in metres or millimetres. Centimetres is for measuring cloth or some other domestic stuff but not engineering.
A ltire of beer weighs about a kilogram.
Everthing else is minor detail.

Some of the world greatest inventions are the digital vernier and micrometer. The push of a button gives either system
When I

more
Good reading, my source, Machinery's Handbook (23) page 2413 (different page # in different issues) Metric Systems of Measurement
And two metre prototypes # 21 and 27