Model engine magazine

I find the metric system slowly but surely creeping into the electronics industry as well. Many components are hard metric and all the printed circuit board layout programs can switch back and forth from imperial to metric on the fly. Pity the fool that takes a 100 pin hard metric part does a quick conversion to inches of the pin-to-pin spacing and uses that to layout the part.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I was absolutely shocked at the ease at which I converted to metric when I refined precious metals. Not having previously worked at length with volumes (very unlike linear measurements, where I'd spent my entire adult life), I quickly adapted to liters. I can't help but think it's a far better and easier system, providing you don't already have programming. It's hard to abandon old ways, and gets even harder as we age. Or should I be speaking for only myself?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Pity the fool that takes

Or the programmer on the Mars probe who put a velocity constant into the guidance program in Imperial rather than the metric the guidance system was expecting. Lost a multi-million dollar space probe.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Thought you might enjoy reading some very nice comments on your drawings. Please follow this link.

Well done, Siggy!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I haven't seen the plans yet*) But what I'd like to know how many hours you spent on it.

*) Got my 55$ yesterday, will send ca$h because it's much easier than registering PayPal and all that crap. My order will go out today.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

--Siggy you can come visit my shop any time! Beautiful drawings..

Reply to
steamer

Wow! Thanks for sending this link. It was a huge amount of work but comments like this make it all worthwhile!

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Not really sure how many hours I spent on them but if you include the time to build the 3D solid CAD model, do the 2D drawings, the renderings and the many, many review cycles it was definitely well over 100 hours. Probably over 200.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

My pleasure!