Plans for Ceiling Train Set

I just created a new website that details plans on how to build a classy cieling display case for a running model train. The display case is mounted only six inches from the ceiling of the room, and runs around the parimeter. It allows you to put a train in almost any room without taking up otherwise usable space. It's great for kids bedrooms, games rooms, or family rooms. Anyways, I spent a bit of time putting it together, so please check it out, and let me know what you think!

John

Reply to
julvr

You forgot to include the instructions describing how my wife is going to dust, shine, polish, and otherwise keep that area clean (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

John's scheme includes a clear plastic cover along the whole shelf. So unless you're a heavy smoker, in which case the grey-brown goop coming out of your cigarettes and mouth will discolour the cover, there won't be a problem. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf K.

"Wolf K." wrote

Uh, so how do you get to the trains when you eventually need to rerail things?

Reply to
P. Roehling

The plastic is removable, held on by a piece of molding with machine screws (the thread of the machine screws won't wear the same as wood screws). Part of the reason for the plastic is to keep dust off the track to reduce maintenance DeMoney pointed out. The other reasons are:

1) prevent a derailed train (weighing say 2 pounds) from falling say eight feet, and making a hole in the floor, desk, or person who happens to be beneath it (and destroying a perefectly good train in the process) 2) prevent stuff (dust, debris, toys, cats) from getting on the track causing the train to derail 3) add to the asthetics of the set -- makes it look more finished.

Hopefully, once you get everything set up, you won't need to rerail the train though, as there's not much variance that can cause the train to derail.

John

Reply to
julvr

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=

--------------------------------------

Great! Very well done. Well described with good pictures. A number of people have asked for a site like yours. Thanks.

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Reply to
MySelf

reminds me of the Berkeley Hardware layout. someday I would love to set up the good o' Gomez Adams collision course layout......and his plunger....

Craig

Reply to
aikidogal

I'll bet that her opinion is that the builder gets to do that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The grocery store I frequent has a G-gauge layout suspended over the checkout area. It's about 10x20 feet and sure keeps the kids (of all ages) interested. There's enough wood railing around it to keep any rolling stock from jumping off should they de-rail.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There are a couple of bars in the Reading, Pa area that have something like this. They use brass track though. If i remember right, The Toy Train Museum of Pa in Strasburg has an LGB setup in a case right when you go into the building and on every curve there are a pile of brass filings! Not good over food!!!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Points awarded to Count De Monet! (nice screen name!)

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

If you build it right in the first place you won't have to re-rail it...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

That is a great tutorial! Thanks!!!1

Reply to