Plans for Ceiling Train Set

I just created a new website that details plans on how to build a
classy cieling display case for a running model train. The display
case is mounted only six inches from the ceiling of the room, and runs
around the parimeter. It allows you to put a train in almost any room
without taking up otherwise usable space. It's great for kids
bedrooms, games rooms, or family rooms. Anyways, I spent a bit of
time putting it together, so please check it out, and let me know what
you think!

John
Reply to
julvr
John's scheme includes a clear plastic cover along the whole shelf. So unless you're a heavy smoker, in which case the grey-brown goop coming out of your cigarettes and mouth will discolour the cover, there won't be a problem. ;-)
Reply to
Wolf K.
The plastic is removable, held on by a piece of molding with machine screws (the thread of the machine screws won't wear the same as wood screws). Part of the reason for the plastic is to keep dust off the track to reduce maintenance DeMoney pointed out. The other reasons are:
1) prevent a derailed train (weighing say 2 pounds) from falling say eight feet, and making a hole in the floor, desk, or person who happens to be beneath it (and destroying a perefectly good train in the process) 2) prevent stuff (dust, debris, toys, cats) from getting on the track causing the train to derail 3) add to the asthetics of the set -- makes it look more finished.
Hopefully, once you get everything set up, you won't need to rerail the train though, as there's not much variance that can cause the train to derail.
John
Reply to
julvr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------= --------------------------------------
Great! Very well done. Well described with good pictures. A number of people have asked for a site like yours. Thanks.
History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:
Bill
A number of years back before I retired, I had to make a trip to the thriving metropolis of Lamar, CO. for business at the bus factory. IIRC, there was a restaurant there(?) that had one going around the perimeter of the rooms. If not Lamar then somewhere else, but I remember seeing it and thinking how cool it was. Grandpa John
julvr wrote:
Reply to
MySelf
reminds me of the Berkeley Hardware layout. someday I would love to set up the good o' Gomez Adams collision course layout......and his plunger....
Craig
Reply to
aikidogal
The grocery store I frequent has a G-gauge layout suspended over the checkout area. It's about 10x20 feet and sure keeps the kids (of all ages) interested. There's enough wood railing around it to keep any rolling stock from jumping off should they de-rail.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
There are a couple of bars in the Reading, Pa area that have something like this. They use brass track though. If i remember right, The Toy Train Museum of Pa in Strasburg has an LGB setup in a case right when you go into the building and on every curve there are a pile of brass filings! Not good over food!!!
Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Site Timeline