metal fire pit plans?

I'm looking for some plans to build a fire pit, something quick & simple,
probably do it out of 3/16" or 1/4" steel. I'd like to put some wheels on it
so I can roll it around the yard. The heat of the wood fire won't be enough
to distort the metal will it? I see alot of cheap metal fire pits in stores,
are they just made of regular steel or is it some specific grade of steel?
Does anybody have a link to a website with firepit plans?
Thanks
-Tom
Reply to
TT
They've got some real nice ones at the Washington State Parks. One style is about 30" circular, about 16" tall, with a hinged grate that swings up out of the way. They appear to be locally manufactured, but I can't be sure.
We're done camping for the season, but I go by there a couple times a month. If you haven't found plans by then, let me know and I'll be glad to take some photos and measurements for you.
Larry
'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'
Reply to
larry
"TT" wrote in news:Gziad.4109$6P5.2457@okepread02:
I have built a couple of fire pits for friends and found the type of steel matters very little. First one I did was made of 3/8" rebar which after 5 years is still going stong with no broken welds. I make mine with mesh bottoms to give the fire plenty of oxygen to burn clean. I have also added atleast one vertical pipe to provide a swing arm to hang a grill for roasting oysters and such.
One version I did was dubbed the viking funeral table at 3' by 5' standing 2 ft off the ground and my current one is rather large at six feet in diameter for a friend with a large clearing for big get togethers (+200 people).
As for ideas, search on key words fire pit or fire ring. One thing to check is with your local fire codes. Some states have limitations on size and type of outdoor fire pits.
Good luck
Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.
Reply to
Mawdeeb
Propane cylinder. Nice thick steel - it won't rust through in a hurry.
Obvious caveats apply to opening them.
Reply to
Andy Dingley
How biga water heaters you got round your place? Find a biggie, cut off the top foot or so and flip it over. You can tack threaded pipe connecters to the side or underneath if you need legs. Handles are always nice.
Joel.
You can also split a 55gal drum lengthwise. If you need a bigger one, hinge the drum so the 2 halves are side by side.
Reply to
Joel Corwith
A lot of us use the barrel out of a clothes dryer. They are free, porceleinized (no rust) and have lots of holes for air
Reply to
Paul Calman
Do you mean this sort of thing, this work well, but we are coming into summer over here cheers Wayne
Reply to
Wayina
Find a dual rim off from some sort of ag equipment. 30 to 36" D, 18 to 30" H. They work great!. I know several people that have one plunked down at the camp site by the river.
Duals off combines, tractors, etc don't have a center. They are rim clamped. I would guess that if you can find the right recycling yard, that you could pick up one of their "odd" rims for pretty cheap. The heat will burn the paint off over time, but it's not going to warp to any appreciable degree that you will care about.
Where are you? If in the northern Midwest, I can point you to a few options, or maybe even find one for you out it in the yard.
JW
Reply to
Jeridiah
That's actually really cool, but not exactly what I am looking for right now.
Thanks
-T

TT
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My neighbor happened to have a dead washing machine sitting in his yard so I asked him if I could have a look and maybe take it, turns out the drum is stainless steel, and big too! I'll probably weld a wheeled base for the drum to sit in.
Can I plasma cut stainless steel? Want to cut the drum down to 12 or 14" in height.
Thanks again
-Tom
Reply to
TT
Plasma cutter is a great way to cut though stainless steel. quick and easy.
Glenn
Reply to
m5bmw
Plasma isn't _quite_ so quick and easy in stainless - although it's only thin, so it's no big deal.
One thing to watch is to wear a mask when cutting stainless, especially the high-chrome stainless steels. Chrome poisoning isn't much fun (BTDT, now I mask up beforehand)
Reply to
Andy Dingley
Check this one out:
I think I'll use that one as a starting point for my design.
-Tom
Reply to
TT
It looks like the back end of a bomb. :-)
Larry
'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'
Reply to
Ed
Hey TT That is a great starting point. I like the supports to that. let us know how it turns out; and how you did it.
Reply to
Cheryl and Rob
Like butter!
Sean