Sulphur pit level measurement

Hi all, I am looking to install a level measuring device in a sulphur blowdown pit. Steam is introduced into the pit and an agitator keeps the sulphur molten (viscous liquid??). In the past (earlier design) Monsanto used a bubbler level instrument to measure sulphur level in the pit.

Are there more modern (meaning non-contact) instruments available these days? Any known references? Leads and pointers are welcome. Thanks, Raj

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Raj, I can't see why either radar or high-frequency ultrasonic wouldn't work. The Hawk 'Rangemaster'

datasheets claim their

20kHz transducers work with high-temperature slurries (hey, sulphur is not exactly a clean liquid ;-) so I'd give them a try first.

You might like to post your question to

(if you haven't already ;-).. some of the guys there might have a better idea.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Use a bubbler! In our sulfur pits in our Sulfur Plant we use a steam jacketed piece of 1/2" tubing and it works excellent. Basically there is a 1 1/2" pipe (if I remember right) with a piece of tubing welded to it at the bottom and goes back up to the top of the flange as the steam return. The bubbler tubing goes throught the pipe and stubs out the bottom about 3/4". I can send you a drawing if you're interested. We also installed some Magnetrol guided wave radar transmitters which do fairly well, but don't do as well as the bubblers. The odd time the rods bridge and we get a bit of a funky measurement. Over a month, when trended together the bubbler is definitely a more precise measurement. Especially at the peaks and valleys where of the level. Another good thing about bubblers is that you can do a mass measurement with them if your sulfur density changes much. I'm not sure if it would but it's the bubbler would compensate where the radar doesn't. Throw a smart DP transmitter on a bubbler and I don't think you could beat it. We just use instrument air in it. Of course, you have to make sure you have adequate holes in your stilling well for the bubbler air to escape from. And they have to be large enough so they don't plug off. As for non-contact radar measurement I'm not sure. I know for fact they wouldn't work in our pits because the sulfur vapor would condense on them and they would be forever being coated with solid sulfur. If that's not an issue where in your application (it probably would be though) I'd give Ohmart Vega a call. We had a bunch of E&H non contact radar and ripped them all out and put the Vega's in. They are a lot more versatile when it comes to nulling out noise and false reflections. Hope this helps.

Curtis

Reply to
Curtis

I would be! Is there any way you can put something on the web somewhere and post a link to it here?? :-)

Thanks, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Viscosity of sulphur is extremely weird. As temperature rises it goes down. Then it rises abruptly to an extreme value and then goes down slowly again. If temperature is too low, viscosity is too high. If temp is too high, viscosity is also very high. Temperature control is critical. That's why steam heat is a good fit.

Walter.

Reply to
Walter Driedger

I'll see what I can do for getting a sketch. It will have to wait until Monday because it's at work right now. I may just have to email it to anyone interested.

Reply to
Curtis

Hey all,

I did up a drawing and I have some pictures of that bubbler if anyone cares. Cameron, is that a fake email?? If so you have mine, so send me something, and I'll send you everything I sent Raj. Sorry, I don't have any place to post it right now on the web.

Curtis

Reply to
Curtis

Yes, I would like to see a copy of your drawing and installation detail. Just email it to the above address

Reply to
PuNx

Back when I worked for Rosemount, we used to sell radar level measurement instruments into applications like that. One problem to watch out for would be stuff building up on the antenna. You can shoot through a quartz or glass window in the top of tank if the ullage space is really nasty. IIRC that product line is now sold by Saab or somebody else.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Afraid not. It's been 5 years since I worked for Rosemount and can't cite any particulars from memory. I remember a number of installations where a quartz window was installed in the top of the tank and the radar mounted above that to prevent build up of materials on the radar antenna. That installation method was used for high-temp applications where the liquid was too hot/corrosive or vapors would condense and harden on the antenna.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

That's because it is the only measurement that has proven to work

Reply to
PuNx

replying to Curtis, Dvance wrote: Please send snipped-for-privacy@processsupplies.com

Reply to
Dvance

replying to Curtis, yanni wrote: could you please send for us , the drawing of bubbler tube with steam jacket as you describe

Reply to
yanni