Nucleonic level measurement for rail cars (tanker wagons)

Hi, Has any one used Nucleonic level gauge to measure liquid level during a rail car loading and unloading operation? We did consider the option of using
optical level sensors (switches) for this application. However, this requires the rail cars to be modified (rail tanker is a certified pressure vessel) and we are not sure that this will be a cost effective installation.
Currently multi-level sensors (contact type) are inserted into the rail tanker. But the frequent insertion and removal tends to damage the probes. Thanks in advance for any insights or leads. Regards, Raj Sreenevasan
Have you considered load cells or strain gauges, since rail cars are usually labled with their empty weight.
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:25:37 GMT, "Raj Sreenevasan"

This is exactly what we used at (ex)BHP Whyalla on their Hot Metal rail cars.. It worked a treat.
We mounted a strain gauge on the coupling point on each bogie and installed an RFID tag, battery and gauge transducer in a box on the tail end of the car. All the driver has to do is park in the right spot..
But, if you're only after indication at loading/unloading points, use a weighbridge... everyone else does. (We couldn't use a weighbridge at Whyalla because even a small spill would melt it! ;-)
Cameron:-)